Up-Squared case and fan mount (adds on for the passive cooling)

Maziar
Maziar New Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I designed this case for the up squared I got. I did put some holes for all possible connections including the display, camera, 60-pin EXHAT, fan, and SATA III. I also designed a fan holder (60*25mm fan-12 V) for it. the fan will be hold by friction onto the fins. I did run some tests and it cools down the CPU by 20C while IDLEing. I was thinking of getting 5v to 12v convertor module, however this is clearly an overkill. I did the benchmarking using "prime 95" and a 9 V battery and I was 42C away from max Temperature that CPU can handle. The max T I scored was 64, for the sake of comparison my up board runs at 50-53C while IDLEing without any fan. Any suggestions for further modifications? I will share the file once it is final for 3D printing.

Thanks,
Maz
1.jpg 15.6K
2.jpg 17.9K
3.jpg 14.4K
4.jpg 17.7K
5.jpg 15.7K
6.jpg 16.5K
7.jpg 20.3K

Comments

• Michael Miller
    Michael Miller New Member Posts: 95
    you should be able to find a 60mm 5v fan and you can buy pre-crimped plugs for the header the UPSquared uses for it's fan. I have a 70mm 5V fan I plan to incorporate into my case as well.
  • Michael Miller
    Also, if you get something like a 60mmx10mm fan, it will be much more compact.
  • Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Guest Posts: 123
    Hi Tbird Man,

really thanks for your contribution to the community and your active role.
    We need more people like you and we have to start to reward you.
    Actually we are working on it...

Hi Maziar423

the Tj of Pentium N4200 is 105 C while the one of x5-Z8350 is 90 C.
    Your result is fine.

If you want to improve maybe you can use the heatsink with fan that we have just released and we are going to deliver from middle of July

http://up-shop.org/up-peripherals/136-active-cooler-fan-for-the-up-squared.html

BR

fabrizio
  • Maziar
    edited June 2017
    Hi Tbird Man,

Nice I totally agree with you. The reason I am using this fan is because I had it before and just wanted to reuse it ;) I have the solidwork files and shall be easy to modify to incorporate different fans :). I also ordered MICRO JST cables for board connection.
    here is link:micro JST cable http://www.ebay.ca/itm/112307336109
  • Maziar
    edited June 2017
    Hi Tbird Man,
    Nice Idea, Since the cooling is efficient I can totally use 60*10mm one :) Thanks a bunch
  • Maziar
    Hi Fab,

The reason that I am modifying the current passive cooling is that I wanna give people alternative choices if they have access to a 3D printer. Thanks for your kind reply, the temperature was well below TJ max at 100% CPU usage so I think I will be fine :) I also figured that the cases we have in the shop they dont have openings for connections like display port or camera ports. Am I missing something? I think it will be a nice modification to design push-in lock unlock door for them.

Thanks,
    Maz
  • Michael Miller
    one tip, make sure the wiring of your pigtails is correct. The ones I got for my fan were right, however, the ones I bought for my SATA power adapter were reversed.