Bricking an UP Board

Options
Bill Perkins
Bill Perkins New Member Posts: 3
Did something wrong to my Up Board today. While digging through the bios settings in order to get the board to boot from a USB 16GB finger drive that had a copy of the new Fedora 26 beta install image on it, I encountered a problem. When I reboot, the boot process will not proceed past the AmeriTrends screen. I waited awhile before I noticed that the finger drive was getting awfully hot. I killed power and removed the finger drive. After a few minutes I reconnected power to see if the board would boot from the eMMC as it use to do. No joy. System boot stops at the Ameritrends screen and I cannot edit the bios. I need a few hints about what I should do at this point. The board had been working fine until today.

Comments

• Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    Options
    I suggest powering up the board with the RTC battery unplugged. That should cause the factory-default BIOS settings to be restored. You can plug the RTC battery in again afterwards.
  • Bill Perkins
    Bill Perkins New Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you Dan for the reply and the suggestion. Last night I just unplugged the battery and power. I did not power it back up until after about eight hours. This morning I plugged the battery back in, connected power and it booted up just fine. I had kind of figured, belatedly, that this SBC was different from other non-x86 SBC that only needed a battery, if one was present, for the RTC.