This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

CN31 pinout (eDP)

Luis
Luis New Member Posts: 4
Hi,
as far as I understood the CN31 connector can be used for DSI output, as well as eDP output, but the connector specifications found on the wiki[1] only show the DSI pinout, not the eDP. So, which eDP version does the UP-Board utilise? Is the pinout compatible to the eDP v1.1a released by VESA in 2007? (The screen I want to connect has 1.1a) Or does the UP-Board have a custom pinout (Why would it though?).
Also, what is the mating connector for the board? The specs say it's a Hirose FH35C-41S-0.3SHW(50) connector, but I can't find the modell number for the mating connector (the "find mating connector" function on the Hirose site doesn't work for me). And where can I buy an eDP cable for connecting the UP-Board with the screen - up until now, I could only find some shady chinese websites with questionable respectability ;)
Thanks in advance,
LuPro

[1] https://up-community.org/downloads/documentation/documentation-documentation-up-cht01-a10-connector-description/UP Connectors Description?format=pdf

Comments

• Luis
    Ok, according to the datasheet of the ATOM z8000 series, the CPU has an eDP 1.3 output and, because it's nowhere else defined, I have to guess that the first 30 pins on the CN31 connector are for eDP - is this right? I really don't want to fry any components if this assumption is wrong
  • Jacky Kuo
    Jacky Kuo New Member Posts: 70
    Hi ,
    Please refer to our CN31 connector pinout of manual.
    The pin 16 to 34 are the pins for eDP signals.
    eDP.png 144.2K
  • Luis
    Thank you very much for the information - but if I recall correctly, eDP uses 30 pins - I'd guess that the GND and +3.3V pins are universal and 16-34 are only data, am I right?
  • Jacky Kuo
    Jacky Kuo New Member Posts: 70
    Hi.
    Yes, pin 16-34 are eDP data and you can use +3.3V and GND pin .
    (By the way, it seems we already have 10" panel compatible with CN31 connector, you can consult shop if you want to know more information)
  • Luis
    Yeah, I know about the 10" Display but I want to build myself a Laptop to work with and I can't use anything below 13", preferably at least 15". also, I do have to say that the screen is rather expensive (for reference, I got my unused full HD 15,6" screen for 80€ and IIRC, the screen on up-shop costs about 110€, which is understandable because it kind of does rather much for you and I have to build my own adapters and such for my screen which isn't the case with yours)
    well OK, enough rambling - thank you very much for the information and maybe, just maybe I'll make some progress and participate at the hackathon
  • Yulin
    Yulin New Member Posts: 4
    May I have edp actually connector part no? I don't know what pitch with this connector information and others.
    It's really not easy to use without detail information.
    All manual and datasheet are not have detail what we need.
  • Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Hi,

The connector part number of CN31 (TF)FPC/FFC Conn.41P.90D(F).0.6mm.Hirose.FH35C-41S-0.3SHW(50).
    Some pins are for DSI, and some are for eDP.
    We are going to sell the converter board to support eDP display, it will be easier for our users. Stay tuned.
  • Yulin
    Thank you for reply. Seems should waiting a while. Our project should finish for late.
    Is possible to have schematic or pcb files? So we could more easy to develop.
    The display panel is normal 40 pins eDP port.
  • Aling
    Hi ,

UP board is not an open hardware platform, therefore we don't provide schematics.
    If you follow the pin definition of CN31, you can make the connector. https://up-community.org/downloads/download/22-documentation/18-up-cht01-a10_rev_a10_connectors-description
    However, making connector is one thing, to make it work is another thing. You will need to have BIOS modification to optimize the performance of your panel.
    The VBIOS modification is quite a lot of work, as we need to modify it from source code.
    In case you develop this for your mass production project, please contact us, we can quote your NRE for the BIOS modification.
  • Yulin
    AlingWu wrote:
    Hi ,

UP board is not an open hardware platform, therefore we don't provide schematics.
    If you follow the pin definition of CN31, you can make the connector. https://up-community.org/downloads/download/22-documentation/18-up-cht01-a10_rev_a10_connectors-description
    However, making connector is one thing, to make it work is another thing. You will need to have BIOS modification to optimize the performance of your panel.
    The VBIOS modification is quite a lot of work, as we need to modify it from source code.
    In case you develop this for your mass production project, please contact us, we can quote your NRE for the BIOS modification.

It's good. May I have your contact detail or email address?
  • Aling
    You may contact us via info@up-board.org.
    I got your email from our HQ, I will drop you an email about it.
  • Michael Miller
    Michael Miller New Member Posts: 95
    Hello AlingWu, I am curious if this eDP board is still in the works, and if it will be compatible with UP2?
  • Aling
    We just validated Futurelab display kit for UP Squared. It means the same kit will work for both UP and UP Squared.
  • Michael Miller
    Michael Miller New Member Posts: 95
    I was referring to the mention of a converter board for eDP. The screen you guys sell looks nice, but the price is a bit hard to stomach. I think I might just shop for a 7" HDMI TFT screen for my project as I really don't need hi res.
  • bam
    bam New Member Posts: 4

@Yulin said:
    The display panel is normal 40 pins eDP port.

Hi, I'm interested too in connecting some full-size eDP panel, is there any solution?