ubilinux™ 3.0 RC2 for the UP board released

Options
A new release of the ubilinux™ distribution is now available...

[article=full]28[/article]

Comments

• Björn Reichert
    Björn Reichert New Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Great work, no problems during installation.
  • Raymond Day
    Raymond Day New Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This board seems close to the new Lattepanda board. I got Lubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) running on my Lattepanda. You should try that on this UP board. http://lubuntu.net/

I downloaded the 64 bit ISO and used Rufus to a USB stick and plug it in the USB 3.0 on the Lattepanda and it boots live and then can click on install.

Here is a uname on the Lattepanda with Lubuntu.

uname -a
    Linux rayday 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any way you could put a USB-C on this or USB 3.1? I guess the same thing.

One nice this this board has is a Gigabit Ethernet. The Lattepanda only a 10/100 Ethernet.

Does this Up board power on when you plug in the power? That's something the Lattepanda don't do. If power goes out it will not boot up when power comes back! So I hope your Up board does.

The same info you did on the YouTube video on this Lattepanda:

dmidecode | grep -A 20 'System Information'
    System Information
    Manufacturer: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Product Name: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Version: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Serial Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
    UUID: 03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Family: To be filled by O.E.M.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
    Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: AMI Corporation
    Product Name: Cherry Trail CR
    Version: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Serial Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Asset Tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
    Features:
    Board is a hosting board
    Board is replaceable
    Location In Chassis: To be filled by O.E.M.

Nice that you have the O.E.M. filled in on yours.

-Raymond Day

I posted that on Google Plus then fund this board.

I know on the board I have that sound like this one can just do a apt update don't have to do the apt-get I guess that's the new 16 Linux doing that.
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Raymond,

The UP board comes with a newer SoC version, X5-Z8350, which introduces some improvements over the one used in the Lattepanda.
    As you may have noticed the UP board uses a Raspberry Pi like form factor and other interesting features for the maker and the professionals (many USB ports, 40 pin I/O, CPLD, Gigabit Ethernet, etc).

- Unfortunately USB 3.1 type-C is not supported currently by the Intel X5 SoC included in these boards but we include a USB 3.0 OTG port which supports both Host and Device mode.
    - The UP board powers on once you plug-in the power jack and it also comes with a convenient power button and a reset pin header. The UP have a traditional barrel-jack connector and supports up to 4A 5V power supply so you can connect as many peripherals as you want!

A key factor with the UP board is that we develop and support a specific distribution which allow you to use the board at full potential with Linux!
    With the standard Ubuntu that you can download from the official ubuntu.com website or any other linux distribution you currently don't get support for some I/O or other features available on your board or the UP board.
    We also tested Lubuntu 16.04 (as you can see from the attached image) and we can confirm that audio and some I/O does not work out of the box, while on ubilinux we currently enable HDMI audio and also all the I/O functionalities from the 40 pin header.

Let us know if you might have any other questions!
  • Raymond Day
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good nice reply dcleri!

I don't know can you add some chip to put a USB 3.1 on it. Take it from 2 USB 3.0 ports and I guess it = what a USB 3.1 can do. I know it can do a lot of power out o the USB 3.1 port too. If that CPU chip has at lest 2 USB 3.0 ports.

They do have even newer low power CPU's out but they cost like $300 in the tray. Cedar City ones: http://ark.intel.com/products/88197/Intel-Core-m5-6Y57-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

7 Watts at the most. I guess the next UP board for that.

What I like is that you will get Linux to work on it too. But I think with the newer Cedar City chips, Linux will have no problem with them. The Gigabit Ethernet is nice too.

I did not know the CPU you have in this is a little now then the Lattepanda.

I am just using the Lattepanda as a Linux server any way so don't need the sound or WiFi working on it.

Are you going to get Linux server to work on the UP board too?

Neat that you did test Lubuntu 16.04 on it. It is the only one I could get to work on the Lattepanda I have. Others could work on the live load but installing them would not work.

-Raymond Day
  • Raymond Day
    Options
    Looked up the z8300 to the z8350 that is in the UP board. The z8300 runs at 1.84GHz but the z8350 runs at 1.92GHz. GPS type is Intel Gen 8-LP to HD 400. So a little batter on the Up board.

Found the info here:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/244/Intel_Atom_x5_Z8300_vs_Intel_Atom_x5_Z8350.html#specs

-Raymond Day
  • Raymond Day
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Found a better place to compare CPU's.

Put in the 3 low power Intel CPU's I got this CPU mark out of the 3:

intel%2B2nd%2Bgeneration%2Bcompute%2Bstick%2Bcompare%2B3.jpg

Looks like they don't have the Atom x5-Z8350 that is in the UP board. But the X5-Z8300 should be close.

Found this out because I have Plex server installed on mine and it said to convert one 1080 video it should have a CPU mark of at lest 2000. The Atom X5-Z8300 only gets 1192. I just tested it again and it update to a CPU Mark of 1197 a little better.

-Raymond Day
  • Raymond Day
    edited May 2016
    Options
    About a week ago I got a Intel Compute Stick with USB-C and can install Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS putting the ISO on a USB stick and it works super good.

I have plex manager running on it and it can play the 1080P videos on other players with the plex app installed on it.

I will attache a phpsysinfo here from it.

https://goo.gl/photos/7R9ASgozt1M3sV9M8

This board will not let you add a bit jpg but Google lets you upload your photos unlimited with Google Photos Backup Then get a link and that's the link I put in here.

I got it power with solar Sun. I used a USB hub with power. It works real good. I guess the UP board my use this CPU later.

But it will be good to bet my UP board too. I will use it as a backup server.

But I guess with the UP board could not install Ubuntu server with out edit it. But with this new ICS can just install Ubuntu server with out edited it at all.

-Raymond Day
  • Michal
    Michal New Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I have forbidden access to download section :(
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options
    A newer version has been released few months ago, please check out this link: https://up-community.org/downloads/ubilinux/ubilinux-ubilinux-3-0