Power consumption under Windows 10

Kai Klintworth
Kai Klintworth New Member Posts: 23
edited March 2017 in UP Squared Windows
So a few power consumption values with Windows 10 Pro (with the Intel N4200, 8GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, monitor via DisplayPort connected, WLAN/Bluetooth enabled, usb-wireless-mouse):

Idle desktop: 3,5W
Youtube HD-Video Fullscreen: around 5W or less
Shutdown (fan running): 0,6W

Can somebody tell me how I can manage it that after shutdown of Windows the fan is also stopping?

Regards

Comments

• Stefan Smietanowski
    Stefan Smietanowski New Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2017
    Hey, so I played around a bit in my Kubuntu 17.04beta2 and I believe you're checking your power consumption between the board and PSU?

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of setup here so I could only check at the wall.

n4200 8GB/64GB.
    Ethernet connected
    USB Keyboard connected directly to Up Squared
    USB Mouse connected directly to Up Squared
    USB Stick with Kubuntu 17.04beta2 64bit
    HDMI connected to monitor at 1920x1200@60Hz.

Note: all measurements at the wall, so this includes the (in)efficiency of the PSU.
    Initial powerup before EFI: 9W.
    At EFI screen: 9-11W.
    Booting all to way from EFI to desktop: 11-16W.
    Idle at Desktop: 11W.
    Installing terminator and kodi: 11-13W (mostly 11W).
    Starting Kodi: 11-13W.
    Setting up network share access: 20W (!).
    Watching Something AVC encoded at 720p: 11-13W.
    Watching Something AVC encoded at 1080p: 11-13W. Occasional blip at 16W.
    Watching Something AVC encoded with high bitrate at 1080p: 11-13W. Occasional blip at 16W.

So the most energy consuming thing I did was set up the network share access where it lay steady at 20W.

I am going to stress it a bit to see how much I can get it to draw using compression / etc.

Oh and when shutting down Linux my fan also stays on.

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    I also did it at the wall, with an Energy check 3000.

You`re values are quite high. I also used the PTU coming with it. 20W. I think this is the maximum the ptu is giving you, or? I think it just delivers max. 20W on 5V.

Hmmm......

Regards
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    edited March 2017
    I'm just using one I had lying around. No clue if it's accurate or not...

Currently running a parallel xz-compression with all cores at 100%. 18W. I removed the keyboard and mouse and unplugged the ethernet just to minimize power consumption.

And yes, 20W at 5V but remember the (in)efficiency of the PSU. In a perfect world 20W on the secondary side would be 20W on the primary side but it's not.

Still weird that you're seeing 3.5W on the primary side at idle.

I will boot into Windows to get comparable data.

The difference could be that my power meter is junk and can't correctly show energy consumption below 0.1A (which this is..) 0.08A@234V at load. 0.04-0.05A@234V at idle.

Fan spinning it's mostly at 4W, sometimes jumps to 6W. THAT seems awfully high to me.

// Stefan

EDIT: I said it was an IKEA but it's not. It's.. something else. It's a PM-300 by Jula.
    EDI2: Measurement range is 0.02A - 10.00A. Doesn't say anything about not being good at low A, but saying that I don't know if it's good at all.
  • Kai Klintworth
    Ok, so you have to use it with Windows and I have put Kubuntu on it to compare :-)

Just checked again with a SmartHome adapter which has power consumption feature. Same, 3-4W in idle desktop windows.
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    Yup!

Well it really looks bad for my power meter doesn't it then lol! :D

Ok, preparing Windows now.

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    I just started Kubuntu via USB without installing it.

Power consumption on idle desktop is also below 4W. So it must be a problem with your power meter.
  • Stefan Smietanowski
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I figured as much. It was an el cheapo one so...

Tested around a bit in Windows 10 and power consumption is roughly what it is in Linux but after being in idle for a while it fell down to 6W for no reason that I could see. Screen was still on and I've turned off hibernation/standby mode on it. It turned the screen off after 2 hours or so and then it's been jumping between 6 and 7W. I connected the mouse again and woke the screen up and it's jumped up to 9W.

On another note I can add that I've played around in Windows, but I did not touch any of the "custom drivers" since Windows found a lot of them itself. I installed Kodi and full hardware acceleration of video is available from the start for everything but HEVC10, that one is using hybrid acceleration (GPU+CPU).

I played a high bitrate 3840x2160 HEVC10 video and there are places where it stutters but otherwise works fine, so as long as you don't go full 4K HEVC10 it should all be smooth. I haven't tried it but I'm sure a 4K AVC will be fine.

Oh and power usage jumped to 16W decoding the 4K HEVC10 video, but that's no shocker really.

// Stefan
  • Kai Klintworth
    Same config, I now run Prime95, power consumption 18,9W.

Regards