This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Looking for schematics and drawings

Options
Hello,

I'm looking for Up² schematics and drawings to decide to buy or not to buy it!
In the past I bought some ARM based boards aka Cubieboard Plus, Orange Pi and Co. with bad and missed documentations about them.
I don't like to make the same mistake buying the Up²

Thanks in advance
Michael Wachs

Comments

• WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Options
    The Up-boards aren't open-source, they've said they ain't releasing schematics.
  • Michael Wachs
    Michael Wachs New Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Today I got my Up² and have problems configuring the linux kernel without accurate knowledge of the parts list (BOM)!

I'm not really happy about this. :(:angry:
    It does not matter if it is an open source project or not.
    It is a good idea to provide such informations.
    It is an embedded board, developed for people, who want to "play" with such computer hardware.
    How do you want to play with it when the most important informations are not available?

I'll give very bad notes to Up², If the necessary informations stay secret.
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Options
    To be quite frank, they never, not even once, promised any schematics whatsoever or claimed that the boards were open-source. If you want open-source hardware, maybe you should buy open-source hardware. One can ask nicely for such things even on non-open-source hardware, but "I'll give very bad notes to Up²" is hardly nicely asked.
  • Michael Wachs
    Michael Wachs New Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Excuse me, I have expressed myself wrong! I mean "rating" and not "note",
    My English isn't well.

If someone wanted to rebuild the board, there are plenty of professionals for retro engineering who can do something like that.
    I just want to configure the Linux kernel and connect some hardware modules to the buses (I2C, I2S and SPI). And for that job you need the schematic, especially if you are a professional and can read it.

I don't understand the reason for this "management by champignons" and secrets.

If the UP boards get bad rating and it's rumored, the people behind it will maybe think about why no one buys their boards anymore.

Kind Regards,
    Michael