This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Multiple questions about the UP board (Power, certain pins on the board, Temp..)

Options
Hello,

I have multiple questions about Power on the UP board.

1) I saw in the 3D model there is a Power Connector aside the Jack Connector ... Is this a Input Power Jumper or is this a output Power Jumper for the 5V ?
2) Is there a fused protection on the Upboard for the Power Input ?
3) I need 12V in my project and I want to use a 12V to 5V Power Stabilizer chip 7805 e.g. but how many Ampers does the Up board need on 5V Power Supply ?
4) To add an active ventilation on a HAT board I want to use an output signal depending on the temperature - how would I have to read the temperature in Windows 10 ?
5) I saw the support for Windows 10 is very small yet - no ADC, no PWM, no SPI, no CSI, no DSI ???

I think it would be helpful to get the electronical schematics of the board to help advance the drivers and the hardware extension developement ... could you please provide this ?

Best regards

Martin

Comments

• Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    Options
    mmm-it wrote:
    1) I saw in the 3D model there is a Power Connector aside the Jack Connector ... Is this a Input Power Jumper or is this a output Power Jumper for the 5V ?
    Neither! :-) There are two 2-pin headers next to the jack connector.

The white box header closest to the power button gives you the option to wire in your own power button (useful, for example, if you want to position the power button somewhere else on an enclosure, or control it with extra circuitry). Shorting these pins will simulate a press of the power button, which typically initiates a graceful shutdown (if the OS supports it).

The bare 2-pin header one inside that allows an optional reset button to be connected. Shorting these pins triggers a hard-reboot.
    mmm-it wrote:
    3) I need 12V in my project and I want to use a 12V to 5V Power Stabilizer chip 7805 e.g. but how many Ampers does the Up board need on 5V Power Supply ?
    Remember that the 5V supply is also feeding the USB ports and the 5V pins on the HAT header, so it depends on what peripherals you think you will be connecting. Also, intensive use of the GPU will significantly drive up the amount of current drawn by the SoC. Personally, I wouldn't advise using anything less than a 3A supply for typical use cases (e.g. keyboard/mouse/wifi dongle connected).

I'll leave it to someone else to answer the other questions.