This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

USB 3.0 connector...

Options
Ken
Ken New Member Posts: 48
Just curious, why is the USB 3.0 that double bump micro USB connector? What is the function of the contacts in the 2nd bump? Connecting a regular micro USB connector to the wider portion seems to function just fine, is the extension something specific to the OTG function? Which as I understand it essentially lets this port function as a device connected to another host. ...and what kind of support is there for this function in any of the supported OSs?

Another question regarding this port is what is the power output rated to? USB 3.0 specs power output to 900mA which seems like that might be unrealistically optimistic for a board that is powered by 3000-4000mA, especially considering there is (up to) 6 USB 2.0 ports (500mA), a fan header, etc. Just seems like it's stretching the math a bit.

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Options
    Hi Irwin,

Not sure if I understand your questions. I try to answer here.
    USB3.0 OTG is designed for high speed device, such as high resolution USB camera; and also for people who would like to UP as a storage ( device mode) when running Linux and Android.
    It is not possible to power UP board via USB ports.. UP board requires at least 3A@5V to power on.
  • Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    Options
    Additional general information regarding that USB 3.0 Micro-B SuperSpeed receptacle can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.0_Connectors_and_Backward_Compatibility
  • Ken
    Ken New Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2017
    Options
    AlingWu wrote:
    Hi Irwin,

Not sure if I understand your questions. I try to answer here.
    USB3.0 OTG is designed for high speed device, such as high resolution USB camera; and also for people who would like to UP as a storage ( device mode) when running Linux and Android.
    It is not possible to power UP board via USB ports.. UP board requires at least 3A@5V to power on.

OK, so if I understand correctly, in order to get 3.0 speeds you need to use the extended pins that are not part of the standard micro USB connector (the 2nd bump).

The other part of my question was not about powering the Up Board from a USB port, it was about powering devices plugged into the Up Board. By USB specification USB 3 ports provide 900mA@5V power and USB 2 ports provide 500mA@5V, so (1 x 900mA@5V) + (6 x 500mA@5V) would be 3.9A@5V which obviously can't be provided within specification by a board that is powered by 3-4A@5V, so my question was, does the board provide specific limits on USB power outputs? Is the board capable of powering all the ports within spec, if given enough input current (which I would assume would be somewhere around 6-7A@5V)?
  • Jesse Kaukonen
    Jesse Kaukonen New Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'd also like to know how much of the 4000 mA input current is available for USB devices if the device is under 100% CPU, GPU and eMMC load. I suppose an approximation could be gained by adding some power consumption meter between the Upboard power transformer and wall socket, and then using a USB multimeter to figure out how much the USB devices draw.