Problem with Display

Options
Bernhard Mosgöller
Bernhard Mosgöller New Member Posts: 5
Hello,

I have got a problem with my displays on the UP-Board. I need it for a school project and I do not know how to solve my problem or how to start solving it(my teacher does not know either)

I bought a small TFT-Display PiTFT 320x240 2.8" TFT, which has been verified by the company Emutex and did all according to the wiki TFT_Display_HATs
The display is not turning white, although it should. I still continued following the instructions but it did not work.

After this failure I decided to buy another display with HDMI(Second Display)
I connected it via HDMI but that is not working too. The display is made for Raspberry Pies but should not it work with any computer via the HDMI interface? I read in the documentation of the display that you need to change something in the config file but this file does not exist on the UP-Board

It would be already awesome if one of these displays would work(the touchscreen is optional) and if you need any more information then please ask me.
Please help me solving this problem.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    Options
    Hi Mossi

Can you clarify which OS you're using? Is it ubilinux, or a flavour of ubuntu with our UP kernel installed from the PPA?

Regarding the HDMI display, I'm surprised that this one isn't working. I would have expected most HDMI displays to be plug-n-play. I assume your HDMI output is working when connected to a normal monitor or TV?

Cheers,
    -Dan
  • Bernhard Mosgöller
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Linux Version 4.2.0-27generic (buildd@lcy01-23) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)) #32~14.04.1-Ubuntu(got this with thze command cat proc/version)

I read somewhere at the UP-wiki that you shoudl use Ubuntu 14.04 so I installed it, but I didn't pay attention to the exact kernal number.

My UP-Board is working fine with my monitors(I tried it on 4 different devices)
    But it looks like that the display with the HDMI-interface is broken(it is supported by windows but the device isn't found when I connect it to my laptop)
  • Dan O'Donovan
    Options
    Hi Mossi

You can use 16.04 as well now. If you want to use the 40-pin HAT I/O header (e.g. for your SPI TFT screen), you'll need to install the Ubuntu kernel for UP as well by following the instructions on this page: https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Best regards,
    -Dan
  • Bernhard Mosgöller
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Dan,

thanks, but i got another error while following the instructions. When I run
    sudo apt install linux-upboard

this happens(please look at error_upkernel.png).

Do I need to install another OS?

I checked mine and it is as follows:
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

In case the picture quality is too low:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-upboard is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    ax25-node libax25 openbsd-inetd
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 128 not upgraded.
    4 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    Setting up linux-image-4.2.0-3-upboard (4.2.0-3.3) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-3-upboard
    ) points to /boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-3-upboard
    (/boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-3-upboard) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.2.0-3-upboard.postinst line 491.
    vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    ) points to /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    (/boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.2.0-3-upboard.postinst line 491.
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.2.0-3-upboard /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.2.0-3-upboard /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-3-upboard
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 4.2.0-3-upboard /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 4.2.0-3-upboard /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.2.0-3-upboard /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-3-upboard
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 3: /etc/default/grub.d/serial.cfg: GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUTgfxterm serial: not found
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
    Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.2.0-3-upboard.postinst line 1025.
    dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.2.0-3-upboard (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
  • Dan O'Donovan
    Options
    The errors suggest a possible issue with this file: /etc/default/grub.d/serial.cfg

Is it possible that you modified that file recently and introduced an error there?
  • Bernhard Mosgöller
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No. I just installed some packages and libaries on the UP-Board
  • Bernhard Mosgöller
    Options
    Hi Dan

Would it help if i set up the computer again?
    If yes would u suggest me to use another version of Ubuntu?
  • Dan O'Donovan
    Options
    Hi Mossi
    I tried a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.5 this morning, and followed the instructions on the wiki to install the UP kernel, and I didn't see the issue that you reported. It worked fine for me.

However, I did notice that the instructions for installing the UP kernel for 14.04 were a bit out-of-date, because there is a newer v4.4 kernel available which should be installed instead using slightly different commands. I've updated the wiki for that now:
    https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubuntu

It might be easiest for you to attempt a fresh install of Ubuntu if you can. If you don't specifically need 14.04, then perhaps it would be better to go with 16.04 instead (just because its newer and so it will have more up-to-date software packages and will be supported by Ubuntu for longer).

Best regards,
    -Dan