No network device detected when installing ubilinux

Maarten Coenen
Maarten Coenen New Member Posts: 15
hi, some weeks ago I received my 2nd up board (UP-CHT01-A10-0432). I'm trying to install Ubilinux, but so far I get a failure when the installer tries to detect the network hardware. Somehow it looks like my network interface is not working. Is there something I can try? Or should I return the board?

Comments

• Ken
    Ken New Member Posts: 48
    Just curious, is your UpBoard connected to a 10/100 switch port? My install also failed on network, I moved it to a GigE port and everything worked fine. I also changed the cable when I did this, since the GigE port was further away, but now I am wondering if maybe the board *needs* gig speed and can't sync to the lower port speed.
  • Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    Strange - that shouldn't be the case. I've often used the UP board with a 100Mbps switch, always worked fine.
    Perhaps you had a cable issue on the previous attempt?
  • Ken
    Ken New Member Posts: 48
    dan wrote:
    Strange - that shouldn't be the case. I've often used the UP board with a 100Mbps switch, always worked fine.
    Perhaps you had a cable issue on the previous attempt?

Appears that my little BrainBoxes DIN rail switch may have puked, so I stand corrected. Given that I am not limited to 10/100 now I'll be turning the little 5 port Netgear Plus switches into DIN mounts, to replace them, and it'll give me at least some crude up/down monitoring capability as well. While I am pretty free with my project budgets, there is just no way I would bite the bullet on a Smart GigE DIN switch which seem to have outright crazy price tags for what they are.
  • Maarten Coenen
    Maarten Coenen New Member Posts: 15
    I'm using a 10/100 port actually. I had it connected to a Frirtz! 530e power line adaptor.
    Perhaps I should use a Gigabit switch. Or should I do the installation without a network cable connected, that should work right?
  • Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    @MCoenen
    Reading your original post again, I wonder if you perhaps you have a faulty board. Could you post the exact text of the error you see from the installer (or screenshot, whatever's easiest)? Is it saying that it can't find a network interface device, or a network connection?

There's no obvious reason why it shouldn't work with a 10/100 connection. Perhaps you could try it with another cable and another switch, just to rule out external factors. If its still not working, I suggest contacting the UP shop to see if the board should be returned.
  • Alexandru Csete
    Alexandru Csete New Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I encountered this problem too. I knew the hardware was working because I already have Ubuntu server 16.04 running on the board.

While trying a standard Debian install I noticed that the Ethernet device requires non-free firmware and this was missing from the Ubilinux iso as well. I downloaded http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/jessie/current/firmware.tar.gz and unpacked it into the /firmware directory on the Ubilinux installation disk. Now it could detect the network device (even on 100 Mb connection) and the installation completed. I think the network only needs the realtek-firmware package but I just put all packages on the disk.

So, it seems the firmware is missing from the latest ISO.

PS: It would be nice if the installer would run tasksel and offer the option to install something else than a desktop.