Linux server?

Options
Raymond Day
Raymond Day New Member Posts: 67
I know you are going to get Linux desktop to work on it. But what about Linux server? I want to use mine as a server when I get it.

-Raymond Day

Comments

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi Raymond,

Even though we will be initially releasing ubilinux as a desktop distro, it can be set up as a server in a similar way as with any Debian-based distribution. The same applies to Ubuntu, which will also be enabled on the UP board. There are also plans to release alternative install methods (e.g. minimal installer, preinstalled images) for ubilinux, which may be better suited for your purposes.

However, you should be able to use any recent server-oriented Linux distribution of your choice. In this case, some features will be missing which may or may not be important for you (like GPIO support for the 40-pin header, or HDMI audio). All kernel modifications to enable these will be made publicly available, so they can be ported to your system's kernel.
  • Raymond Day
    Raymond Day New Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Have not found a server kernel that has in-built eMMC support. It gets all most all the way to going to reboot and just keeps saying insert the same install that is all ready in it. Can press enter over and over in a loop. So give up reboot and it can't boot.

I hope they fix that some time.

-Raymond Day
  • Karl Emil Takeuchi-Storm
    Karl Emil Takeuchi-Storm New Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Sorry for the necro, but this forum pops up when installing ubuntu on the upboard.

Use nomodeset in grup to boot a terminal and install upboard drivers.

https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Hope it help who else get by these posts.