eMMC vs 502SSD shield

Hi there.

I'm coming from another platform and target purchasing the Up board for a new project.
This project will be multimedia-intensive, and running under Win10.

From my experience, eMMC could be a bottleneck, even with 4 Gigs of RAM, because of the multiple I/O under Win10.
On another system (which is indeed underpowered for my need), I had to plug an entry level SSD through an S-ATA3 port to get Win10 work decently (read: not hung any other second by I/Os). The benchmarks I saw for the Up eMMC (using Crystal Disk Mark) are 3x to 4x below my entry level SSD on S-ATA3 (I'm talking of the 4K tests, which are more representative of Win10 I/Os).

Any experience on your side as the eMMC being a bottleneck?

Since USB3 is not working well for external disks on the Up, and since Win10 is a pain to get working on external disks, I was thinking about using the 502SSD shield on the Up. But it seems it's connected to USB2 pins, and speed could even be worse than the eMMC.

Could someone confirm whether the 502SSD shield is on the speedy (USB3) or slow (USB2) side of USB?

Happy coding everyone!

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Hi Proto,

Some information for your reference.
    --eMMC 32GB spec : Kingston.EMMC32G-M525-A51
    --502 SSD is communicating with the UP board by USB2.0 , therefore the speed is not so fast.
    --USB3.0 : we notice some USB 3.0 adapter doesn't perform well, therefore we start to sell the verified USB3.0 adapter at UP shop.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for your reply.
    Does that mean that using either the MicroB > USBA adapter, or the MicroB > MicroB cable, will provide full USB3.0 speed in Device Mode? It will not work under Win10 (since Win10 is a hassle to install on external USB3 drives) but it should under Ubuntu ...
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.
  • Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    No matter which type of cable you are using, it supports the USB3.0 speed. I just checked booting option in BIOS, it seems USB3.0 is not meant to be a booting device.
  • Well noted.
    USB3 not meant to be a booting device means we have to use eMMC for the OS in all cases.
    Which can limit the overall speed of the system.