GPIO on UBUNTU 16.04

Marcello
Marcello New Member Posts: 156
Hello,
Is there a kernel patch to add GPIO support to the stock UBUNTU 16.04 Xenial? (Diff format)
So far we were able to make the HDMI audio work and it would be great to have a complete UP Board support.

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Hi MarcFinns,

At the moment the only Ubuntu Kernel available is 4.2 for Ubuntu 14.04.
    We are planning to release soon an update for Ubuntu which include 40pin I/O and HDMI audio on both 14.04 and 16.04 with the new Ubuntu 4.4 Kernel.
  • Marcello
    dcleri wrote:
    Hi MarcFinns,

At the moment the only Ubuntu Kernel available is 4.2 for Ubuntu 14.04.
    We are planning to release soon an update for Ubuntu which include 40pin I/O and HDMI audio on both 14.04 and 16.04 with the new Ubuntu 4.4 Kernel.
    When is this going to happen? Need help?
  • DCleri
    Hi MarcFinns,

It is going to be published in the coming weeks.
    If you want to help us, you could drop an email to "community AT up-board.org" and we will give you access to the private PPA of UP ubuntu kernel for beta testing once available.
  • Marcello
    dcleri wrote:
    Hi MarcFinns,

It is going to be published in the coming weeks.
    If you want to help us, you could drop an email to "community AT up-board.org" and we will give you access to the private PPA of UP ubuntu kernel for beta testing once available.

Installing stock Ubuntu 16.04.1 and replacing the kernel with Ubilinux seems to work... (very limited testing so far)
  • DCleri
    Hi MarcFinns,

Thank you for trying it out. Unfortunately that is not the one we will use with Ubuntu.
    The Ubuntu 4.4 kernel for UP will be based on the Ubuntu 16.04 4.4 kernel (while the ubilinux kernel is based on the Debian 4.4 kernel backports).

PS: Thanks for requesting the beta access to the kernel for testing!
  • Marcello
    dcleri wrote:
    Hi MarcFinns,

Thank you for trying it out. Unfortunately that is not the one we will use with Ubuntu.
    The Ubuntu 4.4 kernel for UP will be based on the Ubuntu 16.04 4.4 kernel (while the ubilinux kernel is based on the Debian 4.4 kernel backports).

PS: Thanks for requesting the beta access to the kernel for testing!
    Hi DCLERI, I honestly did not understand if the access to beta is something for the future or it can be done now...
  • DCleri
    We are in the process of enabling the kernel for beta testers, you will get access as soon as it is avaialble.
  • William Henning
    William Henning New Member Posts: 17
    I am also very interested in Ubuntu on up-board, and I also need GPIO.
  • DCleri
    Hi mikronauts,

I can give you good news as we are currently testing 4.4 kernel for both ubuntu 14.04.5/16.04
    We will release it as soon as our internal testing will be complete, hopefully in the coming week.
  • Marcello
    dcleri wrote:
    Hi mikronauts,

I can give you good news as we are currently testing 4.4 kernel for both ubuntu 14.04.5/16.04
    We will release it as soon as our internal testing will be complete, hopefully in the coming week.
    I thought you were opening it up to beta testers but it has not happened yet. Is this what you mean or is it going to be a full release?
  • DCleri
    Yes, we are now enabling access to beta testers, you should receive an email shortly.
  • Marcello
    dcleri wrote:
    Yes, we are now enabling access to beta testers, you should receive an email shortly.
    Thanks. Does this include the cherry trail hdmi audio patch? Is this going to be eventually contributed to the stock kernel?
  • DCleri
    It does include the Audio patch, the I/O patches and some new addition we will announce soon.

The Audio patch has been created by Pierre Bossart and it is available on Github: https://github.com/plbossart/sound
  • William Henning
    William Henning New Member Posts: 17
    Thank you, I am looking forward to it.

Ubuntu is my preferred desktop Linux OS
    dcleri wrote:
    Hi mikronauts,

• Kurt
    Kurt New Member Posts: 146 ✭✭
    I finally received my UP 4/64 and started off installing Windows 10, but want to dual boot with Ubuntu where I will use it the majority of the time...

So was wondering about instlling 16.04 as it is the LTS. How long until I can try out the GPIO stuff for this release.

Thanks
    Kurt
  • Kurt
    Any updates on this? Would like to be able to talk to GPIO pins through Ubuntu as well as Windows 10.

Thanks
  • Kurt
    How is the beta testing of this going? Would like to be able to try the communications between my Up board and some of my Teensy boards by PJRC. Currently I have a board that I designed to plug into either ODroid or UP board to connect up to Teensy 3.2 boards.

I am in the process of playing around with updating the board to be able to use one of the new up coming Teensy 3.6 or 3.5 boards. Would be nice to be able to try out the different communication types on the Up board to decide how many or which ones to use to communicate with Teensy? Usart or SPI or ...

In case you are interested, there is a Kickstarter for new Teensy boards, which will end in a day or two...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulstoffregen/teensy-35-and-36?ref=discovery
  • DCleri
    Hi KurtE,

The beta testing is going well, the Kernel will be released to the public soon!

Thanks for sharing what you are trying to achieve with the UP Board, it looks very interesting, Keep us posted on the progress!
  • Farid
    Farid New Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    Hello all,

I think by now the kernel supports GPIO on Ubuntu, given that now I can view them through
    for f in `ls -d /sys/class/gpio/gpiochip*`; do echo $f `cat $f/label $f/base $f/ngpio` ; done

But now I'm stuck as I'm not sure how to drive them by code. RPi.GPIO package is not found, even after
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubilinux/up

MRAA also doesn't work as it gives me "Wrong pin number" error. I was intending to write my own wrapper code to do the driving similarly to how it was done here, but I don't know how to deduce the exact pin mappings I should export to begin with.

Is there any solution to this in the time being? I'd really love to be able to use ROS and the GPIO to drive a robot.
  • Kurt
    I assume you saw this thread: https://up-community.org/forum/announcements/866-up-board-4-4-linux-kernel-for-ubuntu-16-04-and-14-04-is-now-available

It has been awhile since I played with it, but earlier did do some playing around with MRAA. Note: I did not use the apt-get to do MRAA, but instead did git to make a clone of it from: https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa
  • Farid
    Farid New Member Posts: 2
    Actually my bad :pinch:

It seems that I haven't seen this thread (Not so sure how I missed it). Also my bad for not going through this earlier (Wouldn't have thought some important answers lie there).

I'll give it a try and get back with results. Thanks a lot KurtE!
  • Matt10000
    Matt10000 New Member Posts: 1

@Farid said:
    Actually my bad :pinch:

It seems that I haven't seen this thread (Not so sure how I missed it). Also my bad for not going through this earlier (Wouldn't have thought some important answers lie there).

I'll give it a try and get back with results. Thanks a lot KurtE!

Hi Farid,
    any luck with this one?
    I too am getting "wrong pin " complaints in the terminal

matt

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @Matt10000 ,

As this discussion is very outdated, I am not sure if you tried to install the latest kernel for UP board available in the Wiki:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu

That is the official kernel for Ubuntu 16, so you could try to test your GPIO using the supported software.