Power Upboard by USB3 port

Options
Can sombody confirm that I can power my kickstarter UP board with the USB3 OTG interface?
The page https://up-community.org/wiki/Setup says "Depending on your performance requirements, the UP board can also be powered through the 5 V GPIO pins, or the USB3.0 OTG port (for low power draw applications). Note however that pre-production versions can only be powered through the DC jack).".

Is the kickstarter board a pre-production verison? This could be described more clearly on the wiki.

Comments

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi pieterg,

Unless you've already received an innovator sample, the board you'll be getting will be a mass production version. Meaning you should be able to provide power through OTG.

However, please keep in mind this is not a supported or recommended setup:
    [ul]
    [li]depending on your requirements, it might not be able to provide enough power to keep the board stable, and[/li]
    [li]you'll probably find it necessary to provide some initial power through the 5V pins / DC jack, as the OTG port can't bring the board up in my experience. What it can do is keep the board powered on even after 5V is unplugged.[/li]
    [/ul]

Thanks for your feedback! Added to the Setup wiki page.