videos (vlc-ubilinux)

clevesque
clevesque New Member Posts: 11
Hello,

Is this board powerful enough to play videos? Because I tried to play a couple of files with vlc on ubilinux and the screen became all blurry until the video ended playing.

Thanks!

Comments

• clevesque
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Hi Clevesque,

The board can play videos quite well with both VLC and Kodi.

With Kodi you have GPU hardware acceleration out of the box.

You can have the same with VLC but you need to change some settings from the VLC Tools/preferences page:

Input/Codecs, change Hardware-accelerated decoding to: VA-API video decoder via DRM
    Video, change Output to: XVideo output (XCB)

Then Save and play your videos.
  • clevesque
    thanks dcleri for your answer.

I tried what you said for VLC and I have the glitch.

I also tried Kodi and had the same problem. Just opening Kodi makes the visual glitch. After a while it ends and I can try to play the video but it does the same thing.

It feels like this is some kind of hardware problem...
  • DCleri
    We cannot experience this issue in our testing.

Can you provide info on the codec used by the video you played?
    Could you share a screenshot/picture of the glitch?

My suggestion would be to try a different HDMI cable and a different TV eventually.
  • clevesque
    Thanks again for your help. I tried another cable to another screen(PC monitor) and instead of doing the glitch, the screen shuts down and reopen once the video is over. I tried with an avi and an mp4 file.

For the screenshot I can't take one. It gives me a message saying Failed to execute child process "gnome-screenshot"(no such file or directory)

Here's the codec informations from vlc :
    For the avi file the codec is MS MPEG-A Video v2(MP42), frame rate 30, decoded format Planar 4:2:0 YUV
    For the mp4 the codec is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), frame rate 30
  • DCleri
    What kind of cable are you using to connect the UP Board to your TV?
    What is the one used to connect to your PC monitor?

Also thanks for the issue reported on the gnome-screenshot application, we will look into it!
  • clevesque
    For the first test I was not using a TV, I was using a small 7” LCD with a normal hdmi cable.
    For the second test with the PC monitor I used a hdmi to dvi cable.
  • Marcello
    Marcello New Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2016
    clevesque wrote:
    Thanks again for your help. I tried another cable to another screen(PC monitor) and instead of doing the glitch, the screen shuts down and reopen once the video is over. I tried with an avi and an mp4 file.

For the screenshot I can't take one. It gives me a message saying Failed to execute child process "gnome-screenshot"(no such file or directory)

Here's the codec informations from vlc :
    For the avi file the codec is MS MPEG-A Video v2(MP42), frame rate 30, decoded format Planar 4:2:0 YUV
    For the mp4 the codec is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), frame rate 30

I had exactly the same behavior on e.g. youtube when the board was connected to an old monitor I use for testing that cannot handle 1080p. Apparently the board changes video mode when playing videos, irrespective of the mode in use for the linux desktop.
    The same board / installation however works fine when connected to a monitor that can handle all video modes. Hope this helps.
  • clevesque
    Thank you MarcFinns, you were right, it was because the video was 1080p. Converted it in 480p and it works perfectly. It's OK for us because it was not really necessary for us to play this video in HD.