Internal M2 based SATA SSD not recognized

I have installed a Kingston A400M8 SATA SSD in the M2 slot but it is not being recognized by UEFI. I find nothing in the setup that would involve enabling this slot. The external SATA port appears to work, although I am seeing evidence of an interrupt storm when booting (i.e. it crawls along and took nearly two hours to complete an installation that takes five minutes on the original UP2). The speed improved, but not entirely, when I remove the Kingston SSD.

Also noted, the power supply connector is poorly soldered and cuts out with the slightest wiggle.

Has anyone gotten a M2-based SATA SSD to work?

Comments

• Pratik_Kushwaha
    Pratik_Kushwaha Guest Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Hi @GMN ,

Thanks for the information. We will look into the power supply connector soldering issue

The M.2 2280 port on UP Squared Pro doesn't support high speed NVMe storage, as it has 1x PCIe lane.
    You can use the SATA port for the SSD for additional storage requirements apart from the default storage(eMMC).
    Please refer the block diagram below for UPS Pro

• Pratik_Kushwaha
    Pratik_Kushwaha Guest Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Hi @GMN ,

Could you please share a picture of the power supply connector soldering issue you have specified earlier? I will check further with my team, and update you accordingly.

Thanks,
    Pratik

• GMN
    GMN New Member Posts: 20

Pratik, Thanks for the reply. My intention is to install a SATA III SSD in the M2 socket, NOT NVMe. The Kingston device I mention, as well as many other vendor products, is a SATA SSD. Are you suggesting that the M2 socket does NOT support SATA? If it does support SATA, then do I need to do something to enable it? UEFI does not even show it as a BLKx device. This would seem to indicate that it is not enabled or possibly not supported by platform firmware.

We have been using the earlier UP2 with an internal mini-PCIe SATA SSD, so I am hoping the UP2-Pro also supports an internal SATA SSD.

I will look at the power supply solder connection under a microscope and see if there are visual defects. This could be an internal layer issue. The physical connector appears to fit snugly, but I suppose this could also be a connector issue on the power supply itself. Even with the connector retainer screwed down tightly, it takes just a touch with a finger to get power to glitch.

Regards, Gary (VMS Software Inc)

• GMN

I should also say that the slow performance of the 'external' SATA port described in my original post, turned out to be a problem in our OS with handling of the TPM. After disabling the TPM the external SATA works fine. Now we just need to figure out the internal (M2) SATA issue.

• GMN

Here is a view of the power connector cold solder joints. These two spots can be seen moving when you wiggle the connector.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Hi @GMN

The M.2 2280 supports only NVMe disks, the SATA available is only the external port.

• GMN

Bummer... Had I realized that, I would have skipped the UP2-Pro in favor of the original UP2. ces la vi

• geerd
    geerd New Member Posts: 2

I have a UP squared pro with ubuntu 22.04 on it and flashed with the latest bios. I'm trying to the M2 2280 to work with an NVMe disk. Somehow it can not find the disk.

It doesn't show as a boot option in the bios and also not in the lspci list when booted in Linux.

Question: should the unit support a NVMe disk at the M2 2280 slot? It seems there is at least one PCIe gen.1 lane at this slot.