usb power wont turn off in system shutdown

Dort
Dort New Member Posts: 10

Hi,
when i started working with this board the usb power would shut down when going in to shutdown .
i have been using this feature to create a latch system for a safe power down

now after installing a new OS it stopped turning off.
i have tried several methods and nothing seems to work.

any ideas ?

BR,
Dor.

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

what is the OS and kernel version?

Have you upgraded the BIOS by any chance?

• Dort

the current OS version is : 18.04
    Kernel : 5.4.0-1-generic
    BIOS : UP-CHCR R1.8 (UCR1BM18) (04/12/2019

everything was installed according to instructions found here.

before Linux the board had win10 home from factory.
    after that we installed win10 pro.
    and only then switched to Linux.
    but this is happening on up cores we have with win10 pro that we installed and win 10 pro that came from factory.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Can you provide a configuration of a system where the USB power down to better track when this issue started happening?

We have also escalated it with our BIOS team

• Dort

it worked with the native win10
    OS it arrived with.
    once I installed some drivers and logged into the WIFI, windows updated and i think since it stopped working.
    but I'm not 100% sure because it took me some time to notice.

• rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

@Dort
    May I know your current Windows build version? To check it, please type in winver on search bar then hit Enter key

• rogertsai(AAEON)

@Dort
    In my case, on a UPC board (UCR1BM18) using Win10 Pro 2004 build 19041.388, the system will turn off the USB port standby power in the shutdown state (S5), but USB remains powered on in the sleep state (S3).

• Dort

@rogertsai(AAEON) i have the same build on one of the boards and it doesn't power down the USB in S5.

also I'm intending on using Linux in the final version so i I'm looking for a way to solve this for both OS

• rogertsai(AAEON)

@Dort
    May I know which USB port you use? CN7 USB 2.0 1x10P wafer connector or CN35 USB 3.0 Type-A connector?
    If you are using CN7, this USB port won't turn off after system shutdown because the CN7 5V (pin 1, 5) is provided directly from system power (5V DC in). And the CN35 USB power is controlled by a power switch IC, it will follow the system S5 to turn off the USB power.

• DanielY
    DanielY New Member Posts: 3

Hello, I am involved in this as well. We have checked all the boards we have thoroughly. On the Windows-carrying boards we have, the USB3 connector indeed cuts power on shutdown. However, on the Ubuntu board this does not happen. I would like to understand why that could be.

If I understand correctly, the USB2 ports can never have 5V physically turned off?

• rogertsai(AAEON)

@DanielY said:
    If I understand correctly, the USB2 ports can never have 5V physically turned off?

Only the USB2.0 port on CN7 can't have 5V turned off.

• DanielY

Okay. How can we cause shutdown to turn off 5V on USB3 in Ubuntu? So far we only see this working on our Windows 10 boards.

• DanielY

@DanielY said:
    Okay. How can we cause shutdown to turn off 5V on USB3 in Ubuntu? So far we only see this working on our Windows 10 boards.

Hello, would like an update on this if possible.

• rogertsai(AAEON)

@DanielY
    I've tested here and USB3 (CN35 type A connector) get power turned off in the shutdown state with Ubuntu 16 and Ubuntu 18.
    Please check your test process and application environment, or reinstall Ubuntu to a clean state on UP core

BTW, have you tried to remove the CMOS battery yet? to reset BIOS setting to factory settings