UpBoard kernel 1-wire support

Jari
Jari New Member Posts: 5

Hi,

There seems to be modules w1_gpio and w1_therm kernel modules in the linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04-upboard.

Are those fully supported? I can load them, but so far no luck getting them working with digital temperature sensor attached to GPIO pins.

Are there kernel sources available?

Br,
Jari

Comments

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @Jari ,

Could you please specify more about your setup? GPIO pin? Sensor model? Steps to load and check your sensor on Linux, etc.
    I would like to reproduce the issue here.
    Thanks!

• Jari

Hi,

Sensor model is DS18B20. Ubuntu 16.04. Kernel and extras from here: https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu.
    GPIO pin 23 has the data. I can provide you more information about wiring bit later.

I pretty much tried to follow instructions for RPI, as I could not find anything else. There seems to be w1_gpio and w1_therm modules, like RPI has.

I tried to set environment variable
    dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=23

then load modules
    sudo modprobe w1_gpio
    sudo modprobe w1_therm

then tried to find devices
    ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/

And nothing was found. I have no idea if dtoverlay is some RPI specific thing or is it also usable with Ubuntu.
    Pretty much followed steps described for example here: http://www.circuitbasics.com/raspberry-pi-ds18b20-temperature-sensor-tutorial/

Br,
    Jari Penttinen

• Jari
    edited January 2019

Sensor DS18B20 is connected in non-parasitic power mode to Linux GPIO 23

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Hi @Jari ,

If you have the correct kernel 4.15 for UPboard on Ubuntu then,
    first at all I would recommend you to double check your GPIO pin:
    echo 23 > /sys/class/gpio/export
    Input test:
    cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio23/value #should be 0
    Jump pin1 (3.3v) to pin 16 (Linux 23)
    Check again:
    cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio23/value #should be 1

• up_and_down
    up_and_down New Member Posts: 1

Hi,
    Is anybody here who can use the 1-wire on UPBoard? I tried with a DS18B20 sensor, but it was unsuccessful. First I tried the same way as Jary, but there is no detected device. I tried different pins and sensors but nothing. I beleive the hardware connection is OK. Pullup resistor installed, 3.3V connected to the sensor.

ls -l /sys/bus/w1/devices

total 0

Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
    Thanks!

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Have you installed our custom kernel for UP Board following the instructions from our wiki?

https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubuntu_16.04

• msawicki
    msawicki New Member Posts: 4

Hi, I have the same problem with 1wire on my upboard and DS18B20.

My OS: Linux sysoper-UP-CHT01 5.4.0-1-generic #0~upboard2-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 25 14:06:23 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux (fresh installed Ubuntu 20.04 with upboard kernel)
    BIOS: restored defaults settings
    upboard-extras: installed
    PIN (phy 7 GPIO2): tested as input - ok

I have done (as root):

modprobe w1_gpio
    modprobe w1_therm

and checked:
    ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/
    but it's empty.

I have checked sensor on raspberry pi and it works (it is the same pinout as upboard).

• DCleri

Can you try with our older 4.15 kernel if it is still the case?
    Unfortunately it works only on Ubuntu 18.04, but it is worth to check: https://launchpad.net/~aaeon-cm/+archive/ubuntu/up

• msawicki

So if it works only on 18.04 and I have 20.04 on production board with services (it must be 20.04) so I cannot check it with older kerner, can I?

• DCleri

What I meant is that kernel 4.15 works only on Ubuntu 18.04. It is worth to check as the above replies are showing the 1-wire protocol working on that version.

if it works with kernel 4.15 on Ubuntu 18.04, I have more information for our software dev team to look into it and find a solution on the newer release.

Thanks

• msawicki

I've installed Ubuntu 18.04 and upboard kernel as you said:
    Linux sysoper-UP-CHT01 4.15.0-37-generic #40~upboard07-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 7 14:30:14 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I cannot install upboard-extras:

apt install upboard-extras
    E: Unable to locate package upboard-extras

is it necessary to have this package to use 1-wire?
    I've done:

modprobe w1_gpio
    modprobe w1_therm

and unfortunetly nothing.

• msawicki

What is the default pin supporting 1wire on upboard, the same as raspberry pi? I think about phy#7.
    I connected phy#7 to osciloscope and checked the signal. First of all, using this pin as standard output I changed 0-1-0 and it worked. If I run modprobe (w1_gpio, w1_them) no actitivty could be observed on osciloscope. How to change 1-wire pin in upboard? Is there any config.txt file as in raspberry pi?