Up Extreme Only boots to UEFI Interactive Shell 2.2

Hi everyone,
we just got our first Up Extreme Board for evaluation. We installed Ubuntu 18.04 (partitionioning according to EFi).

When we start the board it always boots to the UEFI Interactive Shell 2.2 instead of booting to Ubuntu. Are we missing something? Is there a way to load Grub from the UEFI Shell?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Sebastian

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Please check in the BIOS boot menu what is the first boot item, it should be eMMC or "ubuntu"

Also, during the installation, did you allowed Ubuntu to partition the system automatically or did you set the partitions manually?

If you have done manually, I would suggest to re-install the system with the automatic settings and then change the partitions after installation.

• Justin Huntington
    Justin Huntington New Member Posts: 5

I've been having similar problems with two Xtremes. I've installed both server and desktop in a couple different configurations each based upon what seemed reasonable. I allowed the installers to set partitions automatically and use the whole disk. The 64GB mmc was selected each time. Following installation and reboot, neither eMMC nor Ubuntu was available to select as a boot source. None of the listed devices that could reasonably have been aliased for the eMMC have resulted in a successful boot.

• Liliental
    Liliental New Member Posts: 5

I can confirm the same issue. I tried letting Ubuntu set the partition automatically and and setting it manually myself several times.

This is the Shell that i always end up after the installation

And here is the Information from the BIOS

• Liliental

Is it possible that the BIOS battery that the board arrived with is to weak?

• Liliental

We just got the second Up Extreme board. I ask because further testing showed that the Ubuntu installation boots fine so long as the power plug does not get disconnected. After the power plug has been disconnected for a minute i always end up in the UEFI Shell.

• Liliental

Here is a picture of the BIOS after a fresh installation of Ubuntu before the power plug has been disconnected.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Can you make sure you have the latest BIOS installed?

Under Main menu you should see BIOS R1.4

If it is not the latest version please update it from here: https://downloads.up-community.org/download/up-xtreme-uefi-bios-v1-4/