How to test interface with AI Core XM2280 without OpenVino?

Options
arthurtasca
arthurtasca New Member Posts: 3
edited April 2020 in UP AI Core Products

Is there any way of testing the interface between a host computer and the VPUs in the AI Core XM2280 without using OpenVino?

For instance, I am developing the PCIe interface for an embedded processor in an FPGA, and I intend to test the FPGA - AI Core interface separately from the processor. This is to make sure things are working on this level before I make changes in my OS, which is not natively supported by OpenVino, and possibly in the toolkit itself.

For doing so, my idea is to build some basic data packages in the FPGA (e.g. load an image in the VPU) and make sure they are correctly being transmitted through the interface.

Therefore, I would need to understand how to build the instructions to be sent through the PCIe, but I have not found any documentation on it so far. Can anyone please provide me this material or give me instructions on how to get it (if it is even possible)?

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin
    Options

Intel doesn't provide PCIe driver for Myriad X, currently AI Core XM is using USB signal and work with OpenVINO. So I am afraid there won't be solution to work on PCIe or without OpenVINO.

• arthurtasca
    arthurtasca New Member Posts: 3
    Options

If they do not provide PCIe driver for Myriad X, how can it be that the interface is done through a PCIe protocol?

I guess there should be some kind of conversion between the USB and PCIe packages, which is also indicated by the FL1100EX IC In the block diagram of the AI Core XM at the product manual. Please, correct me if I am mistaken.

From your answer, I would again guess that the handling of the PCIe/USB interface is done internally to OpenVino. Can you inform me if I am right? If so, again I would like to ask if UP/Aaeon can provide me with or is aware of some documentation on how to build the USB packages and on how to convert them appropriately to PCIe TLP's.

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options

THe FL1100EX is a PCIe to USB3.0 bridge, and you can see the 2 Myriad-X chip are connected via USB3.0 port from that chip.

The conversion is done by the chip.

OpenVINO currently support the Myriad-X VPU via its HDDL plugin/driver only on USB interface.

So the HDDL plugin is the interface used by OpenVINO to run inference application on the device.

Intel is supporting only this approach and you can find more information on their website: https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/vision-accelerator-movidius-vpu#tools