UP core Plus requires 12Vdc?

Options

Q1: why 12Vdc? Is this b/c of possible RS-232 connections? I thought RS-232 died in the last millennium (prior to year 2000)? In the last millennium I worked RS-232 Async Communications as well as Synchronous Communications. Q2: in the UP-world what does UART=? I thought (back in the 90's) it meant Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter. A big 40pin I.C. Q3: Is there any relationship between UP and AAEON? Q4) I have on order an UP Core Unit. Is it being Shipped from an EU Country? My UP Board was shipped from the Netherlands (back in 2017). Q4: Is there a Glossary (of Acronyms) used by UP? This would be most helpful. I wouldn't have to bother DCleri So Much. :):):)

Comments

• rreignier
    rreignier New Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Options

Hi!
    From what I know as a basic user:
    Q1: The PMIC (Power Management Integrated Circuit) in use (TPS65094) recommends 12 V and at minimum 5.6 V. But other components might require the 12 V. Even if there is nothing that uses the 12 V (I don't know actually), it is not currently safe to use another voltage because the DC/DC converter circuits have been designed for 12 V input (see this post).
    Q2: UART is indeed Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter. But it is managed directly by the SoC (System On Chip) so no need for the 40-pin IC. Basically it is a serial port. But be careful, on the 100-pin connectors, the logic level is at 1.8 V, not 3.3 V neither 5.0 V.
    Q3: Yes UP is kind of a spinoff from AAEON which itself is part of ASUS (from what I am aware of)
    Q4: Up has a unit in Netherland but I am not sure from were I mines where shipped.
    Q5: I am not aware of such Glossary. The wiki would be a nice place for such a page but registration is not public

• uscdadnyc
    uscdadnyc New Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Options

A! and A2 were most informative. They put everything in Context. I shied away from UP Core Plus (chose 64GB UP Core) b/c of the 12Vdc. Just received my UP Core yesterday, Am Impressed. I also bought the Hi-Speed I/O Hat for the UP Core. My usage needs wired RJ-45. My first UP was the plain UP Board (bought in 2017). It is running WIN10Pro 64bit. Kinda Tight b/c there is only 32GB eMMC. Thx for your Comments.

• rreignier
    Options

I personally find the original Up Board the most versatile.

Note that a 64 GB version does exist but without fan, only passive heatsink. The UpCore has the same processor so you won't get a performance boost.

While the UpCorePlus has newer processors and several models. You can get the Net Plus carrier board with 4 RJ45 sockets, a mSata connector on which you may connect an SSD to increase the storage and a plain Sata connector.

• uscdadnyc
    Options

Ack about UP 64GB Board not having a Fan. But, as I said in my other Thread (one about micro B cable), b/c of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) I also bought the "Active" Fan Heat Sink separately. Looks like the same as the one I got on my 32GB UP Board. I agree that the UP Board is more versatile. My UP is WIN10 and was given to my Adult Son to 'stream" from the Internet. (i.e. YouTube TV). I am going to
    Cut the (TV) Cord in my Household. Am using RJ-45 on the UP. Faster bandwidth than WiFi. WRT UPCorePlus and mSATA (M.2 or 2.5" SSD), can one "boot" from said SSD? I should have waited for this discussion b/f chosing UPCore over the UPCorePlus :):):)
    For my actual PC's I have a) Intel NUC: i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM. b) Tower w/ Gigabyte MoBo: AMD A10, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD, DVD Optical Drive, Blu-Ray R/W Drive. I use Acronis (and/or) Macrium Software to do Backups. Either "Clone-Disk " Or "Image" Backup's. Thx Again.

• rreignier
    Options

The High Speed Carrier Board for Up Core also have the MiniCard port (warning, not an M.2 Sata but the older generation), but I am not sure that there is any SATA lines on it. Actually the SoC on the Core does not have SATA as far as I remember.

About the Net Plus, I have never tried to use a SSD on it so take the info with a grain of salt.
    I have build my own carrier board with M.2 Sata, I did not try to boot from the SSD but it should be possible. Note that I only use Linux on it. I don't know how Windows behaves.

• uscdadnyc
    Options

Thx. Ack about the MiniCard port is NOT M.2. I noticed that also. WRT M.2. When I assembled my NUC (in 2015), I had a M.2 SSD inside along w/ the 500GB SSD. It (NUC) Booted like a Bat Outta Hell. But the M.2 SSD Died. I bought another a cheaper/small-GB M.2. But have held-off installing it. If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it. WRT to Linux, I was a Unix Administrator in the 1990's. Ironic b/c now I'm a Windows User. W/ some Android thrown in. In my Work, I don't (or Try Not To) get too Involved in the Nuts & Bolts. I just get the gist of the State-of-the-Art (Technology). It is called "Prior Art" when I do work. Am semi-retired now. Thus explaining my comments this Forum. BTW this forum Beats the e14-community forum.

• uscdadnyc
    Options

Not sure whether this is the correct Page to leave these Q's? But here goes, In comparing UPCore w/ the UPCore-Plus. Q1; Can the Carrier Boards (HATs?) for the UPCore fit/work on the UPCore-Plus. Seems that the 100pin Connectors are different Positions. Q2: The "Barrel" Style DC Power Connectors for UPCore and the UpCore-Plus, have the Same Physical Dimensions? I do Know that one is 5Vdc and the other is 12Vdc. Thx

• rreignier
    Options

In the shop, I think I have seem that the Up Core carrier boards are compatible with Up Core Plus. But I did not try.

Be careful, the Up Core Plus has 2 100-pin connectors. Only one match the pinout of Up Core.

About the barrel jack, I did not understand the question. They may have the same dimension but the voltages are different so be very careful, there is no over-voltage protection as far as I know.

• uscdadnyc
    Options

Thx for the info. WRT to both A's (Answers) I will be careful. I remember (in 1970's) LED's where discrete and needed Current-Limiting Resistors. Guess who forgot to wire-up a Resistor? I am more careful w/ Power Supplies. I had an IMSAI (S-100 Altair-like) Computer which ran 110 Vac (standard in USA) to the Front-Panel on PC , via PCB-Copper Traces. This was a Lawsuit waiting to happen. I installed a Power Switch onto the Chassis. Thx Again for your input.

• uscdadnyc
    Options

Reply to reignier Comments. He posted on 09APR2020>>...I personally find the original Up Board the most versatile...
    USCDADNYC reply>> I agree, after playing around w/ Up Board-Core: For the App I am running (General Purpose PC running Windows)
    Streaming TV from tv.google,com The original Up-Board is better. No WiFi/BT, but there are Noobs for that. They are Dirt Cheap.
    He also posted on 09APR2020>>...The High Speed Carrier Board for Up Core also have the MiniCard port (warning, not an M.2 Sata but the older generation),..
    USCDADNYC reply>> I have on-order (from newegg.com) a mini PCI Card that has (2) SATA Data connectors. Might as well make use of this Slot on the High-Speed Up-Board-Core Carrier Board. Using Acronis or Macrium Image/Clone(ing) S/W, I can duplicate the Cloned
    SSDs that I use as backup(s) on my "production/office-use"PC's. You can never be Too Rich, Too Thin, and can never have Too Much Memory.