UART connected to STM32?

rreignier
rreignier New Member Posts: 67 ✭✭

Is there a CPU UART port connected to the STM32 one?
I mean, is there any other connection then USB between the STM32 and the CPU?
Thank you

PS: It would be nice to populate the Wiki "Pinout MCU" page: https://wiki.up-community.org/Pinout_Xtreme_MCU

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Hi @rreignier

We are going to add soon the Pinout MCU with also setup and samples.

The USB can be used as serial interface to exchange data and that is shown in the example we will include in the section

• rreignier

Thank you @DCleri
    But sadly, on the stm32f103c8, the CAN and USB modules cannot be used at the same time (shared IRQ) so usually, to create a CAN gateway we use the UART interface on that chip.
    CAN would have been a nice addition to the Up Xtreme.

• DCleri

You can connect Internally the MCU UART port to the UART port on the 40pin header (Intel SoC UART). Would that be a viable option?

• rreignier

@DCleri said:
    You can connect Internally the MCU UART port to the UART port on the 40pin header (Intel SoC UART). Would that be a viable option?

With a proper documentation of the MCU pinout and the connector model, that could indeed make a workaround. Not that nice but should work.
    Anyway to add CAN Bus, a transceiver is needed so a hardware add-on board is mandatory.

• DCleri

Hi @rreignier

Please check out the MCU page in our wiki: https://wiki.up-community.org/Pinout_Xtreme_MCU

Let us know if you may have any feedback.

• rreignier

Hi @DCleri

Thank you for letting me know that you have uploaded this document.
    But what about the column External Conn Chassis?
    Does this refer to the two Phoenix connectors on the case? (Which kind of Phoenix connector are they?)
    Because I have not found any information about these connectors.
    Have I missed a document somewhere?
    Are they both connected to the MCU pins?
    What is the "CAN RS & TX" mentioned on the Up Shop page?

Thank you

• DCleri

the External Conn Chassis are the connections/pins available via one of the 2 phoenix connectors available on the UP Xtreme Edge Compute, you can see the picture (documents will follow soon):

One is connected to the MCU and the pins are described in the wiki, the other is connected to the 40pin HAT.

they are the pins which are connected to the MCU which can be enabled as CAN interface, it should be CAN H & L

• rreignier

Ok, thank you @DCleri.
    Can you confirm that the Phoenix connector that can be inserted in the case is the MC 1,5/16-STF-3,81?
    https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=1827842&library=usen&tab=1

• rreignier

@DCleri it would be very nice if you could share the connector model of the CN25 connector to use the STM32.
    Thank you.

• jayman
    jayman New Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

So is it possible to program the MCU via the internal USB link from the chipset USB host? Or does it require some kind of external connection between headers? I'm running the STM32CubeProgrammer app and I've not been able to connect to the MCU. When I select USB as the transport it says No DFU detected. How is this supposed to work? If the USB HS08 link to the MCU cannot be used to program it, then what is its purpose?

• rreignier

Hi @jayman
    I have gave up a bit on UpXtreme features because of the lack of documentation from Up.
    But from what I understand, you need to program the STM32 through the SWD port that should be exposed on a header with a programmer like an ST-Link.
    Then, once programmed with a firmware using USB, you can communicate with the main UpXtreme CPU.
    You could flash a USB bootloader into the STM32 and then, you will be able to program it through USB like an Arduino for example.
    See this bootloader to use with the STM32 core for Arduino for example.

• DCleri

@jayman said:
    So is it possible to program the MCU via the internal USB link from the chipset USB host? Or does it require some kind of external connection between headers? I'm running the STM32CubeProgrammer app and I've not been able to connect to the MCU. When I select USB as the transport it says No DFU detected. How is this supposed to work? If the USB HS08 link to the MCU cannot be used to program it, then what is its purpose?

There is a limitation in the boot settings that unfortunately doesn't allow you to flash from USB.
    We have made available a cable that allows you to connect to an ST-Link programmer but also exposes the 40pin: https://up-shop.org/programming-cables-for-up-xtreme.html

We provide examples to be used with the STM32 MCU on our wiki and also instructions for flashing: https://wiki.up-community.org/Pinout_Xtreme_MCU

Hi @rreignier

Thanks for your feedback, but can you please more specific to understand what is the documentation you are lacking from us?

• jayman

Daniele, thanks for fixing the links on the wiki page!

I went ahead and ordered the MCU programming cable you pointed out. Didn't realize this was a different cable than the one that comes in the Cable kit for UP Xtreme chassis, but it makes sense now.

What I'm still trying to understand is do I need that special ST-Link programmer or can I use the onboard UART from the Fintech SIO chip to program the MCU?

• DCleri

You would need the ST-Link programmer unfortunately

The programming cable you ordered includes the I/O header and the programming header that needs to be connected to the ST-Link

• jayman

Ok, I got the ST-LINK programmer and the MCU cable and I'm able to program the MCU.

One question I had is in regards to the clocking scheme:

Are there any external oscillators connected at the board level (HSE or LSE) or does the MCU rely strictly on the integrated oscillators (HSI and LSI)?

• DCleri

There is an external 8Mhz ceramic oscillator to ensure USB to work properly

• DellyRosen
    DellyRosen New Member Posts: 1

Hi...I am running M3/M4 Book Yui programs on the STM32 Discovery Board M4. The program has puts or putch capacities in the program. How might I see these sequential messages. I'm utilizing TeraTerm and I attempted all Comm ports Tera Term has.
    Not seeing sequential port movement utilizing teraterm.

• DCleri

This forum is about UP Board products, not STM32 discovery boards.
    You can use the official STM32 to request support on the product you are using.

• agan
    agan New Member Posts: 4

Hello,

https://up-shop.org/programming-cables-for-up-xtreme.html does not working.

what is the product? Is it possible to use the cable without opening the case of UPX-EDGE?