Upgrading to Debian 10 / Buster

DumasWalker
DumasWalker New Member Posts: 2

I am currently running the version of ubilinux/debian (9) which came with my up board when I received it a year ago. I would like to upgrade to Debian 10 "Buster." Is it as simple as changing the sources, like I would on a any other PC, and following the upgrade procedure on the debian,org site or are there some pitfalls I need to look out for?

Comments

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @DumasWalker ,

Unfortunately, Ubilinux is not supported for newer releases or versions anymore.
    You will get all the current and supported information from the UP wiki:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Ubilinux

• Tone
    Tone New Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2019

So what's your recommended way for users with ubilinux/debian to have a current OS @ccalde ?
    Is it possible to switch the kernel to the linux/debian9 kernel and update after that to debian 10? (Of course, we're gonna lose e.g. gpio support.)

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @Tone ,

Of course, if you upgrade your ubilinux OS to Debian10 , you will lost the support for UP board peripherals, like GPIO.
    I would like to recommend you jump to Ubuntu or Yocto supported:
    https://wiki.up-community.org/Software

• DumasWalker
    DumasWalker New Member Posts: 2

@ccalde I am not too impressed with Yocto having attempted to use it on a Galileo board. Ubuntu has given me fits in the past but would be the preferred method as it supports the UP board. If you already have a board with ubilinux running, can you simply switch the apt repositories to point to ubuntu, or is it better to reinstall it all over again? I am hoping to keep some things I have currently configured without needing to start over again is why I ask. Thanks!

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Hi @DumasWalker

Yocto is a tool to build custom distributions which are heavily customised, off the shelf images are not suitable for daily use, but only for evaluation.

If you need a familiar and easy distribution Ubuntu is the best option you can have (or an ubuntu derivative if you prefer) as it comes with more up to date kernel and packages.

We do not support ubilinux anymore or newer versions of debian.

The only way is to reinstall the system and follow the tutorial in our wiki to setup you system with either Ubuntu 16.04 or Ubuntu 18.04