problem Installing windows10

Options
Jos
Jos New Member Posts: 6
I’m trying to install windows 10 on my Up board, but unfortunately I don’t succeed.
I followed the instructions as in the documentation (Documentation->Microsoft windows->….v1.0).
[ol]
[li] Created a bootable usb-stick with windows10.[/li]
[li] Pressed F7 during startup, a popup showing my usb drive as UEFI-bootable showed up.[/li]
[li] Selected the usb drive to boot from.[/li]
[li] The screen goes black for about 2 seconds.[/li]
[li] Always ends with showing the uefi shell, instead off booting the installer…….[/li]
[/ol]
Tried to create the bootable usb stick in an alternate way, with help off ‘Rufus-2.9p’ (https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US), tried 'MBR partition scheme for UEFI' as well as 'GPT partition scheme for UEFI' still no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Aeth
    Aeth New Member Posts: 10
    Options
    What file system are you formatting the USB stick as?
    I'm not sure if its a bug or a feature, but other UEFI systems I've had need FAT32 filesystems on the USB to successfully boot the windows installer from.
  • Jos
    Options
    I used fat32 as the file system.

Also tried using a dvd drive to boot from.

No luck.

Meanwhile the device seems to be corrupted, after bios screen has disappeared the screen freezes.
    I can enter the bios, resetting defaults doesn't help.

I regret spending so much time on this device............
  • Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Schuurmans,
    Schuurmans wrote:
    Meanwhile the device seems to be corrupted, after bios screen has disappeared the screen freezes.
    I can enter the bios, resetting defaults doesn't help.

If BIOS menus work but the EFI shell can't be reached, it looks like the device is trying to boot from either an external drive or from the MBR in the eMMC. Does pressing F7 on boot still bring up the drive selection menu? Can you see results booting into some other USB flashed with any installation image? (To test the board itself, you may want to try some other USB installer from any OS, such as ubilinux or Ubuntu. If that works, you can narrow it down to the Windows flashing procedure.)

Another (less likely) possibility is that you're using a power supply not rated 5V/3A. This would cause hangs and reboots when there is a power spike.

Please let us know your results!
  • Jos
    Options
    I was able to install Ubilinux using your instructions at https://up-community.org/wiki/Installing_ubilinux_Operating_System
    Missing in your instructions: Enter Bios->Boot->OS Image ID->Android (otherwise i got a black screen after selecting the usb-bootdevice with f7)

Still no luck with windows10, created usb boot disk with the same rufus as used for creating the linux usb disk.
    OS image ID set to 'windows8.1' as well as to 'android'
  • Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    Options
    Schuurmans wrote:
    Missing in your instructions: Enter Bios->Boot->OS Image ID->Android (otherwise i got a black screen after selecting the usb-bootdevice with f7)
    That's odd, it certainly shouldn't be needed to install ubilinux. The default of 'Windows 8.1' should be fine, it's what we use at Emutex.

Could you please tell me the output for these commands on your board, from ubilinux?
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_version

Thanks for the report!
  • Jos
    Options
    jarteaga wrote:
    That's odd, it certainly shouldn't be needed to install ubilinux. The default of 'Windows 8.1' should be fine, it's what we use at Emutex.

Could you please tell me the output for these commands on your board, from ubilinux?
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_version

root@UpUbilinux:/home/jos/out# cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version
    UPC1BM0R
    root@UpUbilinux:/home/jos/out# cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/board_version
    V0.4
    root@UpUbilinux:/home/jos/out#

p.s. When i change the OS Image ID to 'windows 8.1' then Ubilinux won't boot at all (i mean: the one already installed)!!

Thanks so far!
  • Sebastian
    Sebastian New Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried to set Secure Boot to disabled ?
  • Jos
    Options
    I can't find a secure boot option in the bios, so I assume the answer is: no
  • david
    david New Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I know this is stupid answer but did you enter admin password for bios?
    upassw0rd
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options
    The default options should be fine for installing and booting Windows or Linux OS.

If you may have modified settings you can try 2 things before re-installing your system:
    - resetting the BIOS, remove the RTC battery for 10-15min, then plug it again and follow the standard procedure for a OS installation
    - updating the BIOS (which will also set it to default), follow the instructions in our download page to update your BIOS to the latest version https://up-community.org/downloads/uefi-bios
  • Jos
    Options
    Solved, after resetting by disconnecting the battery and using the latest rufus 2p10 and latest msdn windows 64bit 1607/msdn9058187.
    Updating the bios was not necessary.
    Thanks, it's working fine now.