PCIe card connection

Options
Beumer
Beumer New Member Posts: 1
Hi All of you UP-BOARDERS out there,
I need help.

Just recently discovered the UP-BOARD and it's great features and potential! And am really excited !
Particularly about starting asap to employ the UPper as a quality audio device.

However, I have some peculiar requirements for which I need support/info/tips/advice. On 2 things in particular:
1: Can the UP support multichannel (2x stereo) audio out on it's I2S pin ?
There seems to be only one (stereo only?) I2S out pin (Pin# 40).
If so how ?
2: How (if at all) can a PCIe express card be attached/connected to the UP-BOARD ?
It seems that the PCIe Gen 2 1x port is connected to a Realtek 8111G PCIe G1 >GBE and directly to a RJ45 connector.
However I would like to connect an I2S bridge (carrying 8-channel audio from this PCIe port /CPU to peripheral DACs
(http://www.triplemaudioshop.nl/index.php/pink-faun-i2s-bridge-st-stereo-uitvoering-d-a-converter.html) See below and attachment for some details on this "bridge" thing.
No idea however if that can be done (PCIe card coupling)? Or how to do it?
Do RJ45 PICe plugs/adaptors exist at all? Or can the board be modded ? or ....?

Reason for the above is to be able to implement a 4 channel (front and rear stereo) Ambiophonics reproduction system -based on the UP- in my living room (www.ambiophonics.org).
However, getting 2x stereo out of a computer isn't trivial, particularly not if one wants to avoid sound cards/aims to get from the bits directly into -properly clocked- DACs/amplifiers (instead of old-school analog reconversion/AV-receivers and all ...).

Any and All help /input /support on this is highly appreciated and most welcome.

Gerrit

The Pink Faun I2S-Bridge is a plug-and-play PCI-Express card suitable for the Windows platform. Pink Faun has developed I2S-Bridge to be used with the Windows operating system due to the fact that a wide range of high quality streaming software is written for this operating system to which Pink Faun’s I2S-Bridge perfectly integrates. The I2S-Bridge is available in an entry-level 2-channel version and a multiple 8-channel version. The maximum resolution it supports is 32bit/192kHz on all channels. The Pink Faun I2S-Bridge not only represents significant progress in music streaming but friends of hometheatre are now able to experience a highly realistic movie sensation. Surround sound transferred to a processor using SPDIF encoding has now become out-dated. By making use of the I2S format the I2S-bridge transmits, without any form of conversion, the surround sound via the high-speed buffers to the DAC.

The Pink Faun I2S-Bridge is based on a HD audio multi-channel processor of C-Media with a separate power supply providing passive and active stabilisation. A TCXO clock with its own power supply provides a very accurate signal to this Integrated Circuit. In order to obtain an excellent transfer of the I2S signal through the HDMI cable, which is used between the streamer and the DAC, the I2S signal is buffered with very fast line drivers. All tantalum capacitors, used on the Pink Faun I2S-Bridge, are ESR (equivalent series resistant). They are connected in parallel to achieve a fast and reliable electrical supply. The Pink Faun I2S-Bridge has its own power supply connector and therefore it is not necessary to have power supplied from the motherboard. In addition the I2S-Bridge has capacitors filtering the PCI feeders, which improves the computer performance.

Comments