Surround sound

Pieter
Pieter New Member Posts: 5
I'm trying to get 5.1 surround over HDMI working. So far only 2.0 is working. The rear speakers and sub don't work, and for the center it uses both left and right. I installed PulseAudio, and followed this tutorial, but no succes. Is a driver update needed?
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/06/enable-surround-sound-in-ubuntu-linux.html

Comments

• Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    Hi Pieeeeeee,

We haven't tried this, but since the Linux HDMI support was never announced as feature-complete, it isn't entirely surprising that 5.1 wouldn't work out of the box. We'll let you know if we find anything new on this.

Regards

P.S. In the meantime, in case anyone needs a starting point: this bit of code from the Cherry Trail audio patches seems to suggest 2.0 would be selected over a surround setup? I don't have expertise with kernel i915/sound code, so I might well be drawing the wrong conclusion here.
  • Pieter
    Pieter New Member Posts: 5
    I'm a software developer, but my linux knowledge is low, so don't really know what to do with the code.
    I think surround is essential, I want to use it as a Kodi mediaplayer. If I'm happy with the result, I'm buying 2 or 3 more for other people. Switching to Windows might be a solution, but I'd rather stick to legal software.
  • Simon Grønbæk
    Simon Grønbæk New Member Posts: 3

Any updates on 5.1 over HDMI in linux?