This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

I2S sound

Bartek
Bartek New Member Posts: 16
Hello,

specs does include I2S ports on 40 pin header, are they enabled in software? If not are there any plans for that?

Thanks

Comments

• Dan O'Donovan
    Dan O'Donovan Administrator, Moderator, Emutex Posts: 241 admin
    Hi Bartek

I can speak for Linux kernel support - not sure about Windows or other operating systems.

The I2S controller on the SoC is supported by a driver in the Linux kernel. However, "ALSA SoC machine drivers" are also required to configure each I2S codec to work correctly with the I2S controller, and vice-versa. Machine drivers exist for specific codecs in combination with the Cherry Trail SoC (e.g. see the cht_bsw* examples here: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/sound/soc/intel/boards/?v=4.4), but none yet for the codecs that are typically used on I2S HATs designed for Raspberry Pi.

However, we do have plans to enable one or more I2S HATs to work with UP. We'll keep you posted on that.

Thanks,
    -Dan
  • KCM
    KCM New Member Posts: 1
    Hi !
    I noticed the i2s pins just I2S_CLK, DATAIN, DATAOUT, FRM.
    In case of ALC5633Q codec ic, i2s need 5 signal(ADC/DAC/MCLK/LRCLK/BCLK)
    How can i connect the up board with ALC Codec ic.
    Thanks for your smart in advance.
  • Bartek
    Bartek New Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Dan for your response.

I have DAC Sabre ES9023 connected to banana pro. Planning to upgrade to UP Board, hopefully support for this DACwill be available soon:)
  • Robert Alexander
    Robert Alexander New Member Posts: 16
    I'm wondering if there has been any progress on the "ALSA SoC machine drivers" so we can use the I2S from the Up board.

I just want to get some basic sound from the thing without having to use another USB or rely on getting a display board that decodes it from the HDMI. I'm using the Up board in 250 Windows 10 terminals we are building and plan to build more but just need to get some basic sounds from them. I would love to just use something like the Adafruit DAC & Amp:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-max98357-i2s-class-d-mono-amp/overview
    Dan was last talking about doing this about 10 months ago in another thread:
    https://up-community.org/forum/general-discussion-up/99-up-board-and-audio-dac-support
  • pine3825
    pine3825 New Member Posts: 2

Dear
    Which port does UP Board use?? port 2 or 4?
    Thanks

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Just to give you a quick update.

Good news from Intel, as they confirmed that I2S Audio is now working on UP Squared (including the DMIC) and the feature will be available soon also on UP Board.

A BIOS update will be issued for both systems and after that an official announcement with additional details and tutorials on how to use I2S with UP/UP Squared and existing Audio HATs.

• Gnurou
    Gnurou New Member Posts: 7

Mmm, so do we have any news about I2S audio support? Does someone have a link to a (even partially working) kernel tree?

I would like to use the Picade X HAT's I2S audio, and am willing to write some code if needed, but a starting point would be nice...

• dourou
    dourou New Member Posts: 4

Hi @DCleri

A BIOS update will be issued for both systems and after that an official announcement with additional details and tutorials on how to use I2S with UP/UP Squared and existing Audio HATs.

Which FW version is that?
    Can I get I2S working on UP CH01T?

• Frabaxeo
    Frabaxeo New Member Posts: 1

@DCleri said:
    Just to give you a quick update.

Good news from Intel, as they confirmed that I2S Audio is now working on UP Squared (including the DMIC) and the feature will be available soon also on UP Board.

Are you able to tell us, when the I2S will work on the Up Board? Are we talking about weeks or about month? I would really like to use it in my current project

• DCleri

In the coming weeks we will publish the new BIOS for UP Squared supporting I2S new driver from Intel which they demonstrated already at the latest Embedded Linux Conference Europe this week.

About UP Board, I don't have an exact date but it might take a month.

• mjog
    mjog New Member Posts: 1

Any further ETA updates? I'd really like to get I2S working on an UP Board.

• dourou
    dourou New Member Posts: 4

Hi @DCleri
    Regarding your previous comment:

In the coming weeks we will publish the new BIOS for UP Squared supporting I2S new driver from Intel which they demonstrated already at the latest Embedded Linux Conference Europe this week.

What Operating Systems will I2S be available to after the bug fix?

Most references regard linux releases. Is it working/going to work on Windows (10)? If so, how can I get sound out of it?

• DCleri

@mjog said:
    Any further ETA updates? I'd really like to get I2S working on an UP Board.

Hello Mjog,

Once you have BIOS 4.0 you would need the patches available from this git repository: https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/tree/topic/sof-v4.14-rebase

At the moment they are still work in progress and the 4.15 patches for Ubuntu kernel will be available only later this year.

We expect to integrate both set of patches in January respectively for Yocto and Ubuntu.

• DCleri

@dourou said:
    Hi @DCleri
    Regarding your previous comment:

What Operating Systems will I2S be available to after the bug fix?

Most references regard linux releases. Is it working/going to work on Windows (10)? If so, how can I get sound out of it?

I2S will be available only for Linux (Ubuntu and Yocto BSP).

• Lubo
    Lubo New Member Posts: 41 ✭✭

@DCleri said:

At the moment they are still work in progress and the 4.15 patches for Ubuntu kernel will be available only later this year.

We expect to integrate both set of patches in January respectively for Yocto and Ubuntu.

Any update regarding to this ?

• destmaster
    destmaster New Member Posts: 1

There's any news about I2S support for UPboard ?> @Lubo said:

@DCleri said:

Any update regarding to this ?

There's any news about I2S support in UP board ? (for linux or Win10)

• Lubo

Any update / news ?

• Lubo

@DCleri said:

Still not integrated ?

• Lubo

@DCleri said:

Is it integrated now ?
    Any news according I2S UPboard functionality ?
    I would like to connect TAS5756M chip / Amp HAT from justboom.co
    https://justboom.co/product/justboom-amp-hat/
    Is it possible ?

• HAL20012010
    HAL20012010 New Member Posts: 4

Hello,
    First post in the forum. Any update on using I2S Bus on the UP board? Very interested as I have an I2S Bus DAC system to try it with.