Enable Iris Xe Gpu

dominicchin
dominicchin New Member Posts: 2
edited February 2022 in UP Xtreme i11 Linux

(1) I followed the instructions from the wiki https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu_20.04 to install Ubuntu onto my Up Extreme i11 board.

(2) According to this document https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/iris-xe-max-graphics/index.html, it appears that I need to replace the default Ubuntu 20.04.1 default kernel with the linux-oem-20.04 kernel to get the kernel driver to the Iris gpu, i.e.

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04

(3) But the Intel UP Extreme board is using a custom kernel: linux-generic-hwe-18.04-5.4-upboard. Should I be replacing the custom kernel with the linux-oem-20.04 kernel?

thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• camillus
    camillus Administrator, Moderator, AAEON Posts: 188 admin
    edited February 2022

Hi @dominicchin ,

I took a quick look at the documentation and it does not mention anything about replacing the default kernel. I lifted this excerpt below from the documentation.

To use both the Intel Iris Xe graphics and Intel Iris Xe MAX graphics processors at the same time currently requires two different kernels. To isolate the two required kernel versions, virtualization will be used.

The virtual machine (VM) host will have direct control of the display through the Intel Iris Xe graphics processor (via the kernel provided by Ubuntu.) The VM host will also be configured to use PCI passthrough to provide the Intel Iris Xe MAX graphics processor to the VM guest. The VM guest will be running the custom Linux kernel.

• dominicchin
    dominicchin New Member Posts: 2

Thanks for replying but I don't have the max gpu. I tried out $ sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04 and Ubuntu 20.04 is now able to detect the Iris Xe gpu.

• camillus
    camillus Administrator, Moderator, AAEON Posts: 188 admin

I am glad you figured it out, thanks for the update

• yatrajee11
    yatrajee11 New Member Posts: 2

Thanks for this amazing thread..

• yatrajee11
    yatrajee11 New Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2022

Thanks and regards:)

Tagged