Enable Iris Xe Gpu
(1) I followed the instructions from the wiki https://github.com/up-board/up-community/wiki/Ubuntu_20.04 to install Ubuntu onto my Up Extreme i11 board.
(2) According to this document https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/iris-xe-max-graphics/index.html, it appears that I need to replace the default Ubuntu 20.04.1 default kernel with the linux-oem-20.04 kernel to get the kernel driver to the Iris gpu, i.e.
$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04
(3) But the Intel UP Extreme board is using a custom kernel: linux-generic-hwe-18.04-5.4-upboard. Should I be replacing the custom kernel with the linux-oem-20.04 kernel?
Hi @dominicchin ,
I took a quick look at the documentation and it does not mention anything about replacing the default kernel. I lifted this excerpt below from the documentation.
To use both the Intel Iris Xe graphics and Intel Iris Xe MAX graphics processors at the same time currently requires two different kernels. To isolate the two required kernel versions, virtualization will be used.
The virtual machine (VM) host will have direct control of the display through the Intel Iris Xe graphics processor (via the kernel provided by Ubuntu.) The VM host will also be configured to use PCI passthrough to provide the Intel Iris Xe MAX graphics processor to the VM guest. The VM guest will be running the custom Linux kernel.
Thanks for replying but I don't have the max gpu. I tried out
$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04and Ubuntu 20.04 is now able to detect the Iris Xe gpu.
I am glad you figured it out, thanks for the update
Thanks for this amazing thread..
Thanks and regards:)
- 303 All Categories
- 104 Announcements & News
- 52 Product News - New Product/Product Change Notice/ End-of-life
- 184 Welcome Developers!
- 53 Unboxing & Project Sharing
- 24 Tech Updates
- 595 UP Products
- 6 UP Xtreme i12
- 1 UP Squared Pro 7000
- 1 UP Element i12 Edge
- 13 UP Squared V2
- 41 UP 4000
- 24 UP Xtreme i11
- 34 UP Squared 6000
- 49 UP Squared Pro
- 140 UP Xtreme
- 828 UP Squared
- 1.4K UP Board
- 89 UP Core Plus
- 221 UP Core
- 3 UP Xtreme Lite
- 44 UP AI Edge
- 215 Starter Kits & Peripheral