[Core Plus+Vision Plus X] dmesg errors: "usb 2-5: Failed to suspend device, error -19"

Options
d00astro
d00astro New Member Posts: 1

Hi UP Community,

I have installed Ubuntu Server 20.04 on a new UP Core Plus board with an UP Vision Plus X, following these Ubuntu 20.04 intallation instructions

Everything seems to be functionally working, and I can run the .../deployment_tools/demo/demo_benchmark_app.sh with and without the -d MYRIAD flag and get ~230 and ~45 fps throughput respectively. (I don't know what to expect, but seems good).

However, my dmesg log is completely littered with the messages:

[   14.577868] usb 2-5: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 75 using xhci_hcd
[   14.602845] usb 2-5: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0620, bcdDevice=93.03
[   14.602851] usb 2-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[   14.602855] usb 2-5: Product: USB3.1 Hub
[   14.602858] usb 2-5: Manufacturer: GenesysLogic
[   14.604704] hub 2-5:1.0: USB hub found
[   14.605228] hub 2-5:1.0: 4 ports detected
[   14.885670] usb 2-5: USB disconnect, device number 75
[   14.885695] usb 2-5: Failed to suspend device, error -19

The errors occur seemingly at random, sometimes they trickle in at about one per second, sometimes I see a rush of several hundreds of them over several minutes, and sometimes they don't occur for hours.

Apart from at least one such error always occurring at boot, I can't see any pattern. It seems neither related to workload nor whether I have used the MYRIAD devices or not.
I also saw the errors already before I updated the kernel.

I tried to reinstall the OS, and switched to another power source (12V, 2A), but the errors occurs (... but possibly to a somewhat lesser extent).

Is this normal, or is there a known fix, or may I have defective hardware?
I don't want to evaluate the merits of this hardware based on a faulty unit.

Maybe unrelated, but twice (in the first couple of days) the system also froze completely, and would not respond to ping let alone ssh, and I had to power-cycle.
I haven't had a freeze since I re-installed the OS (~24 hours), but I still suspect it might be related to the usb error.
If the hardware is freezing occasionally, it would mean a no-go for this hardware on my projects. :(

Very thankful for any help on this.

Best Regards,
Anders Astrom

Answers

• camillus
    camillus Administrator, Moderator, AAEON Posts: 188 admin
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi @d00astro ,

About the issue with the USB suspend messages, It is likely to be a kernel related issue. I saw an article describing this issue and a potential fix by implementing a udev rule. Can you maybe try that and let us know. Also update us if it freezes again after the OS reinstall you mentioned.

Best Regards,