Longer Boot Times Without RTC Battery Connected

david
david New Member Posts: 10

I have been using the UPboard in my project for about a year now, and it never occured to me to see what would happen if i tried to run it without the RTC battery plugged in. it turns out, it significantly adds tot he boot times, i guess because the BIOS doesnt know what to do. i am booting Ubuntu 18.04 server, either from USB thumb drive or EMMC. with the battery plugged in, the UP logo comes on the screen once, the boot continues, and i am fully loaded in 25-30 seconds. However, without the battery plugged in, the UP log comes up multiple times (2-4), and on the last time it prints (very quickly, had to take video to capture it)

System boot order not found. Initializing defaults.
Creating boot entry "Boot0000" with label "ubuntu" for file "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"

Reset system

then everything loads and goes as normal, but it adds 15 to 30 seconds to the whole boot process.

is there a way to avoid this multiple bios load when there is no RTC battery connected?

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Unfortunately it is not possible.

When you remove the battery any BIOS setting change will be lost, so, with the current implementation of the BIOS that will be the behaviour of the system when RTC battery is not present.

• david
    david New Member Posts: 10

@DCleri said:
    Unfortunately it is not possible.

When you remove the battery any BIOS setting change will be lost, so, with the current implementation of the BIOS that will be the behaviour of the system when RTC battery is not present.

would this be the same all all families of upboard, or just the original? specifically, i was think about trying the core for my application.