[SOLVED] UP2 Doesnt recognize the OS installed

BernardoEgraf
BernardoEgraf New Member Posts: 3
edited January 2020 in UP Squared Linux

Hello all

One of our UP2 suddenly stops recognizing the OS installed on the board and goes directly to the BIOS after a shutdown (Img 1). I have made multiple test and the problem doesn't happen if I reboot the computer with small periods of time, such as 10 minutes between the shutdowns. The problem does happen when I leave the board without power for a couple of days. I have disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes and the problem doesn't happen, so I don't believe the battery is causing the problem.

The UP2 is installed in one of our equipment with Ubuntu 16.04 and the kernel given by AAEON so we can use the GPIOs. Ubuntu is installed as UEFI, not as legacy. The BIOS version I believe is 2.18

The board is useless for us since it cannot be installed in one of our products and we require a permanent solution. I have read multiple post in the forum, but none have the permanent solution that I am looking for.

The problem can be momentarily fixed by connecting a keyboard to the PC and entering the BIOS. Then go to Boot and select UEFI Hard Drive Disk Drive BBS Priorities and select the option with Ubuntu (See Img 2). Sometimes this option wont show up and you have to change the boot option priorities and make the Hard Disk the Boot Option #1 and then reboot the board (Img 3)

Best Regards

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

Can you please provide the exact product you bought?

Also, what is the version of the BIOS installed in your system? 2.18 is not the BIOS version, you can check once in the BIOS menu it should be something like BIOS XXXX R4.6

what is the power supply used, is there any other device connected to it?

• FrankFC
    FrankFC New Member Posts: 5

Hello,

In a product that my company is working on, we use UP2 devices. In the last months some of them started failing with the same exact issue reported on the first post. We have around 140 units working and 10 units affected by this issue.

Some of our findings:

• After an electric power off, the "UEFI Hard Drive Disk Drive BBS Priorities" option dissapears. We can change the manual boot priorities but it has no effect during the boot (OS is not found).
    • Being on the BIOS setup, if we do a "save changes and exit" then after the BIOS soft-restart, the "UEFI Hard Drive Disk Drive BBS Priorities" appears again, so we can select the "Ubuntu MMC - HBG4a2" option and the UP2 device will boot into the OS correctly.

We wonder what is the condition that shows or hides the "UEFI Hard Drive Disk Drive BBS Priorities" option?

I can provide these details of one of the faulty devices:

• Product: UP2 (please, see attached image)
    • BIOS version: UP-APPL01 R2.1 (please, see attached image)
    • Power supply used: 5V - 6A (please, see attached image).
    • There is no other device connected to the UP2 device.

Thanks.
    Kind regards.

• DCleri

Hello @FrankFC

The BIOS in use is very old, can you please update to a newer version?

First upgrade to 4.0 then to 4.6:
    https://downloads.up-community.org/download/up-squared-uefi-bios-v4-0/
    https://downloads.up-community.org/download/up-squared-uefi-bios-v4-6/

Also, the steps you provided to reproduce the issue are going to work on any boards or just some of them?

• FrankFC
    FrankFC New Member Posts: 5

Hello @DCleri

Thanks for your response.

We will do some tests installing the latest BIOS version in a faulty SBC, but I am a bit dubious that it could fix the issue given that all our SBCs (faulty and OK) have the same BIOS version.

The provided steps are only applicable for the faulty SBCs. The other boards that are currently working properly are not affected even if we execute these steps.

Regards,
    Frank F.

• BernardoEgraf
    BernardoEgraf New Member Posts: 3

Hello @DCleri
    I'm sorry for the late response. I didn't receive a notification to my email and completely forgot to give a follow up.

I took the UP2 from the client and updated the BIOS as you suggest. The BIOS was 2.1 i believe and upgraded to 4.6. The problem does not appear to happen when i repeat the same conditions. The board has been working without a problem for two months now

Best regards

• DCleri

Hi @BernardoEgraf

Thanks for letting us now that the problem was sorted with a BIOS upgrade