New Board didn't turn on

Options

Hello,
this was my second Up board, and for the second time, I got the same error.
When I try to power the board, the blue light doesn't light up, and the fan only vibrates.
The only connection I noticed was that on both boards, I once forgot to pull the power plug in a heat. I hope you can help me. If you want to check the boards, I'll happily sent both to you. I really need this board.

Best regards,
Chris

Answers

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options

Hi @chris22763

is it specifically the UP Board?
    https://up-board.org/up/specifications/

Which power supply are you using to power them?

• chris22763
    chris22763 New Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi @DCleri

yes, it is the UP Board :).

I used a 5v 3,5amp power supply because it was pretty hard to get a real 5v 4a.
    And in regular use, I never noticed any lack of power. That's why I kept using this Power supply.

• chris22763
    Options

Hey @DCleri

do you need any further pieces of information to proceed? I would like to come back to my project as soon as possible and to be able to fully create what I wanted to, I need my up board.

best regards,
    Chris

• DCleri
    Options

Hi @chris22763

Both from our UP shop and our resellers you can find certified PSU for UP with 5V4A rating.

The board doesn't need that much power unless you use everything at 100% (CPU/GPU/Memory), but power consumption might spike at boot up or during other phases.

I can see that you are experiencing the problem with 2 boards.
    It would be best if you could try another PSU from your side, to make sure the issue is not coming from an incompatible power supply.

• chris22763
    Options

I could try to connect both UP boards to a lab PSU the QS at work use, unfortunately, the up shop PSU can't be delivered to Germany or at least that was the message I got when I tried to purchase them, or maybe I have false memory and only my vendor "mouser" was unable to do so. But I will try the PSU tomorrow.

• chris22763
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hello,
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I tried to hook the Up board up to a laboratory PSU which made the fan spin and the led turn blue again while only drawing less than 100 mA. Then I got back home bought a new PSU with the right connector and a rating for up to 4A and tried it again. The fans started to spin, but the led was only on for a short period since I connected everything I wanted to join when the device is finished I thought it might draw too much current for my new PSU, I unplugged everything except a monitor, the led turned on, but the screen stayed black.
    Since I did not trust this little PSU I toke my board back to the lab PSU but with a monitor, it still only draws roughly 100mA the led glows, but the monitor is still black.
    This let me believe that :
    1. My old PSU was not up to its task (with only 3,5A)
    2. For some reason, the board still managed to fry itself back when I left it idling with power plugged in

best regards,
    chris

• DCleri
    Options

hi @chris22763

The up-shop can deliver worldwide so you can order an official PSU.

Is the issue only happening with the new board?
    You mention a fan but the board comes with a passive heatsink.
    Did you correctly replace that with the active one? Please double check the instructions to make sure it is positioned correctly.

• chris22763
    Options

Hi DCleri,

I ordered my upboard from mouser where it comes with an active heatsink, so I didn't need to change it myself.
    Back then when I ordered mouser was unable to deliver a PSU, so that's why I bought one locally.

And sadly I tested both boards and both won't show any display signal.

Best regards,
    Chris