DCI Debug for UpSquared

jwesseljwessel New Member Posts: 11
in USB

Does the DCI debug with the Intel System Studio work on the Up Sqaured Apollo Lake board?

I installed the latest BIOS (UP-APL01 R4.0). And went to CRB- Setup->CRB Chipset->South Cluster->Miscellaneous Configuration->DCI enable (HDCIEN) and set it to Enabled.

After saving, powering off and attaching the USB 3 debug cable between the Up Squared board and a Linux host running the Intel System Studio, I can connect and reset the board in the debugger and watch it reboot. I cannot however, get it to halt. I just get "WARNING: attempting to halt an unresponsive target, this operation may fail..."

What steps are missing to enable the debugging to work correctly?

Comments

• Dan O'DonovanDan O'Donovan Emutex Posts: 225 mod

Hi @jwessel

I tried briefly to enable DCI debug in the past with UP Squared, but encountered the same issues as you.

In the end, I had the best results when using a special debug build of Intel's UEFI BIOS firmware for UP Squared:
    https://firmware.intel.com/projects/IntelAtomProcessorE3900
    (Look for the BIOS image named "UPBOARDA.X64.0071.D01.1809030917.bin")

With that BIOS (which runs painfully slowly, by the way), I was able to boot as far as the EFI shell and then I stopped it there and successfully connected ISS. At that point, I could halt/resume the processor, dump registers, access the PCIe CSRs, etc.

Please be aware that you might end up bricking the board if you try to restore the normal BIOS from AAEON again later. That's what happened me anyway when I tried to restore it. In that case, its good to have a SPI flash chip programmer nearby to reprogram the BIOS flash chip directly (its located under the heatsink).

I'm sure it should be easier than that, but that's as far as I got with it at the time. If no-one else replies here, it may be worth raising the question on one of the relevant Intel community support forums.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
    -Dan

• jwesseljwessel New Member Posts: 11
    edited May 17

Thank for you the information. It sounds like I need to make a special cable if I am going to want to put various different BIOS on to the board and be able to recover, unless it is possible to use one of the "chip clips" to program the SPI flash after removing the heatsink. I saw a link to making a custom cable here: https://wiki.up-community.org/BIOS_chip_flashing_on_UP_Squared

I'd like to see if we can get this feature working as an option with in the production BIOS so it can be accessible to anyone to wants to obtain an inexpensive USB 3 debug cable and install/configure ISS.

It will take some time (possibly several weeks) before I can fully circle back to this because it looks fairly complex. I saw the code was available for the debug BIOS you referenced. Did you happen to know if the Release BIOS posted on the same page works? If not, that is probably the reason the production BIOS does not work.

Either way if it works in one place, I would like to figure out a path to work with the production BIOS. Is there a way I can rebuild the latest production BIOS? For the Intel build you referenced, I found the instructions for the rebuild here: https://firmware.intel.com/sites/default/files/intelatome3900-0.71-buildinstructions.txt

• jwesseljwessel New Member Posts: 11

@Dan O'Donovan. Thank you for the pointers. I built a cable for the flash programmer today and used it to flash the images directly.

The debug bios worked and it was extremely slow (nearly impossible to get into setup). I tried the release BIOS from the Intel site and the DCI debugging worked as well. In fact, the BIOS image I built from source also worked.

I could not find any instructions for how to rebuild the production BIOS for the board so I am not sure how to further look into why the DCI debugging does not work on the production BIOS. It is also not clear to me what is functionally different between the Intel version and the production version. I haven't tried GPIOs or anything of that nature at the moment. I had only tried the kernel debugging.

Any insights as to how to proceed are welcome.

• Dan O'DonovanDan O'Donovan Emutex Posts: 225 mod

Hi @jwessel

That's good to hear that the DCI debug worked with the release BIOS from Intel.

Unfortunately, the production BIOS from AAEON is a closed-source BIOS. I think a large part of it is licensed from AMI, so I don't think you'll be able to get source code for that. However, you could certainly ask AAEON to investigate why DCI debugging is not working with the production BIOS.

Can you tell us what goals you are ultimately hoping to achieve with the DCI debug functionality?

Best regards,
    -Dan