This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

AUDIO JACK AND SPEAKER

Hi, I did not see any speaker attached to the board. Is there any audio add-on that support this board

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited October 2018

@enddot12 said:
    Hi, I did not see any speaker attached to the board. Is there any audio add-on that support this board

Hello!

Depends on what you want as output.

Under Windows or Linux, the board outputs audio via the HDMI connector like a standard TV-like setup. Your monitor would need a way to play the audio. There are also HDMI splitters available to split the audio signal if you really want it elsewhere, though I've never had good luck with them (always a buzzing noise from other devices, never tried with UP Boards).

No, there isn't a dedicated audio device with an analog output like the RPi audio jack - other than the one through the HDMI that is.

If you are talking about audio via the GPIO header, it is the same pinout as the RPi - which means it is all digital, not analog and can't be directly connected to a speaker. Well, actually you could and setup a PWM modulator in code to create tones - but that's about it.

There are various RPi HATs out there with DACs for speakers and amplifiers as well.

Could you tell us what kind of audio you want?

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• JuliaTruchsess
    JuliaTruchsess New Member Posts: 4

The cheapest and simplest way is to output audio via a USB adapter. Just google or search on Amazon for "usb audio adapter". Most are plug and play (under Windows at least) without the need for a special driver, and the sound quality is adequate for many applications.