USB device mode only works in 2.0

zhangyuf0224
zhangyuf0224 New Member Posts: 2

Hello,

I am trying to make the up board a mass storage device and have it working partially. The problem I have now is that the device only works in 2.0 mode (480Mbps) instead of 3.0 mode (5.0Gbps). I tried Ubuntu server 18.04, 16.04 and also tried building my own kernel version 4.9.45.

The USB port works as USB 3.0 if an OTG adapter is connected and working as a host when connected to a USB 3.0 card reader (the reader is shown under 5000M root hub with lsusb -t), but I can never get it working as a device as 3.0. I am using a Type-A to 3.0 micro Type-B cable, confirmed working on other 3.0 devices.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @zhangyuf0224 ,

Please check the hardware specs for UP board: https://wiki.up-community.org/Hardware_Specification

As you can see, the only USB 3.0 is for OTG.
    It looks like that is the only one you could use as 3.0...

Cheers!

• zhangyuf0224
    zhangyuf0224 New Member Posts: 2

Hi @ccalde

Thanks for your reply. The link shows

"Device mode is currently supported through a configuration option from the BIOS menu"

and I am using Device mode. However it's running only at USB 2.0. USB 3.0 OTG port works in Device mode at 3.0 speed doesn't it?

Thank you

• ccalde

Hi @zhangyuf0224 ,

Yes, the USB 3.0 OTG port works as device mode by default and the only one working at 3.0 as specifications said.

Why do you say your OTG is running at USB 2.0?

Thanks

• toumou
    toumou New Member Posts: 8

Hi

Same issue here

Despite latest UEFI firmware, multiple kernel versions, USB cables... I am unable to get my board working in device mode at super speed.

• toumou
    toumou New Member Posts: 8

For your information I updated my initial post here.

Unless upboard people plan to fix the issue, forget this board for superspeed device mode.

• ccalde

Hi @toumou ,

Thank you very much for the info.

We will look into that issue deeper.

• tinocolight
    tinocolight New Member Posts: 2

Hello, do you have any news on this topic?

• joaomrq
    joaomrq New Member Posts: 4

Hi,
    Any news about this?

I'm having the same issue. USB in device mode, is only recognized as USB2.0.
    And it's only recognized under Linux, on Windows is not recognized at all. I'm guessing that Windows detects connection issues and doesn't establishes connection. Whereas, host Linux automatically switches to 2.0 mode.

Any help would be appreciated.
    No official response about this problem is unacceptable, since many reports of the same problem exists all over this forum.

Thank you.

• joaomrq
    joaomrq New Member Posts: 4

@joaomrq said:
    Hi,
    Any news about this?

I'm having the same issue. USB in device mode, is only recognized as USB2.0.
    And it's only recognized under Linux, on Windows is not recognized at all. I'm guessing that Windows detects connection issues and doesn't establishes connection. Whereas, host Linux automatically switches to 2.0 mode.

Any help would be appreciated.
    No official response about this problem is unacceptable, since many reports of the same problem exists all over this forum.

Thank you.

If I connect using an USB2.0 cable, then Windows recognizes the device at USB2.0 speeds.