This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Power connector.

I have not found any information about the polarity on the power plug. I assume that the pin in the jack is the positive terminal (most often it is).
But I can not afford to guess her.
Can somebody tell me if this is right?
I have not found any suitable power supply, so I will make one myself. This is not more than replace the barrel plug with one with the right dimensions.
I hope some can help me here.

Regards.
Magne

Comments

• Mark Curry
    Mark Curry New Member Posts: 8
    Yes, center pin is + positive, in fact I'm positive about that :)
    I used a bench supply until I had a good wall adapter (I'm actually using a 3A DC-DC converter). The current required at 3A is indeed a bit higher than the typical adapter you might have lying around. If you get too low on the current, the UP may go unstable on you... dont want that..

cheers,
  • Magne Ertresvåg
    Magne Ertresvåg New Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the quick answer.
    I plan to use a 5 V supply from some (very) old computer system.
    I is marked 5V 300W. Meaning 60A.
    This until I get a propper wall adapter.
    Thank you again.
    Regards
    Magne
  • Fabio Casarotto
    Fabio Casarotto New Member Posts: 2
    I use this topic because my question is about UP power connection.

Can I use the 40 pin i/o to power the board? If yes which pin i have to connect? or i have to use the dc jack only?
    thanks and best regards
    Fabio
  • Javier Arteaga
    Javier Arteaga Emutex Posts: 163 mod
    Hi fabioATES,

Powering the board through GPIO 5V is feasible (see note on power here), it's just not a recommended setup as it might not be able to provide sufficient power for many applications.

To attempt this, you'll need to connect the two 5V pins and as many GND pins as possible to a stable 5V power source, respecting polarity (see Pinout).
  • Henk Ringersma
    Henk Ringersma New Member Posts: 15
    For the moment i created a power cable myself to "borrow" the 5 V from a nearby PC
    Plug is 5.5mm / 2.1 mm and the center pin is the +5 lead