[SOLVED] Customize FPGA code.

AndreHat
AndreHat New Member Posts: 1
edited May 2019 in UP Board Linux

Hi all,
Is the FPGA code open-source, and if so, where can I download it? The reason I bought this board was because the FPGA will address a lot of the timing and low level interface problems we have on usual OS-base boards. I do not want to lose all the functionalities currently available, because most of them will be used as is, but I want to customize some of the pins with functionalities that I do not need to my own applications.
A simple example would be a heartbeat timer for our system in some unused FPGA logic connected to an unused pin.
Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Aling
    Aling Guest Posts: 561 admin

Hi,

FPGA on UP Squared board is not open for program. We use FPGA to emulate 40-pin functionality. There is a risk to burn the board if the FPGA is not written in a right way, So we don't open FPGA to everyone.
    In the next generation, UP AI Plus, the carrier board of UP Core Plus, will have one Cyclon 10 FPGA. For this FPGA, we will open it for programmar. Of course, we are still defining what will be the easiest way for programmer to use it.

• pernecker
    pernecker New Member Posts: 2

@Aling said:
    FPGA on UP Squared board is not open for program. We use FPGA to emulate 40-pin functionality. There is a risk to burn the board if the FPGA is not written in a right way, So we don't open FPGA to everyone.

Then I don't understand why you promote this FPGA if we can't use it. I found another post (middle 2017) on the forum but both are saying "will came in the future". That not nice and I agree that even this could brake the board you should give more information on this usage since it could help your limited team to provide nice support and tools for this. Could you update us on the current status? Thank you in advance for your answer.

• ccalde
    ccalde New Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Hi @pernecker ,

FPGA is accessible for programming only on a project base, not open to everyone as it is very easy for a user to brick the board otherwise.

Tagged