Upboard crashes on OpenCL and USB device use
We're experienced crashes on Ubilinux 4 when the GPU is doing OpenCL work and a USB device is plugged in. Sometimes this happens when a USB device is already open / being utilized and the GPU does work. These crashes manifest as the device booting or freezing. We're using the standard UpBoard. We've observed this on passive and active cooled versions.
- Install ubilinux 4
- Connect 5V / 6A power supply + UART cable
- Use minicom to operate the Up
- Install build-essential git beignet-opencl-icd ocl-icd-opencl-dev
- git clone https://github.com/ihaque/memtestCL.git
- cd memtestCL
- make -f Makefiles/Makefile.linux64
- 0 -> enter
- Connect a USB device in USB2 port. We've tested this with 4G huawei modem and Orbbec Astra Pro
- Sometimes this causes a system crash / freeze
- Running 'stress -c 4' to stress test CPU and connecting a USB device does not cause any problems
- Non-OpenCL GPU work is untested - it's not sure if any GPU stress + USB device is the problem, or if this is OpenCL specific
- Happens with 5V / 4A and 5V / 6A powers
- So far we've verified this happens with the USB2 ports - USB3 port is not certain yet
- On some Ups the device hangs indefinitely, some Ups a reboot happens
- We have reproduced this on 3 Ups so far (all devices we've tried). Two of them have a custom kernel for the librealsense changes, one is default ubilinux 4.
- Is this a driver bug with OpenCL or USB, problem with ubilinux, or a hardware bug?
- Sometimes this issue happens instantly as the USB is plugged in, sometimes it takes many reconnects. Sometimes it simply requires the USB device to be in use for a while. On our test video it took multiple replugs. However, before filming the video we got the freeze on first attempt.
Sysinfo: Same as in this thread: https://forum.up-community.org/discussion/2852/nmi-watchdog-bug-soft-lockup-cpu-3-stuck-for-22s#latest: https://us.v-cdn.net/6030431/uploads/editor/g0/g8azf7z7yt2t.log
Delicode Ltd - https://www.delicode.com/