Pfsense 2.4 release doesn't work

hamador
hamador New Member Posts: 3
edited October 2017 in UP Squared Linux
Hello,

Since pfsense 2.4 is ready, unable to install it on up2board (following these recommendations (eMMC disabled in the bios): https://up-community.org/wiki/PfSense).

Indeed, pfsense freeze on the startup with these messages:
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range

Image used: https://nyifiles.pfsense.org/mirror/downloads/pfSense-CE-memstick-2.4.0-RELEASE-amd64.img.gz
Support: USB stick

Best regards,

Comments

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    I have the same messages on my UP Squared that boots pfSense 2.4 Release.

atkbd0 is just the keyboard.

ppc0 is the parallel port, which doesn't exist.

These are the close to the last messages before the display driver loads. So perhaps there is an issue with it.

For the record, I reset the BIOS 1.8 to factory defaults, disabled eMMC and then went to install pfSense 2.4 Release. All went fine.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• hamador
    Hello,

I just retry (bios version: UPC1BM0X) a reset & disable eMMC with pfSense-CE-memstick-2.4.1-RELEASE-amd64.img & I have the same error :(

Best regards,
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited November 2017
    hamador wrote:
    Hello,

I just retry (bios version: UPC1BM0X) a reset & disable eMMC with pfSense-CE-memstick-2.4.1-RELEASE-amd64.img & I have the same error :(

Best regards,

Oops. That is the BIOS for the UP Board, not the UP2 Squared! All of my pfSense and other firewall tests have been on the UP2 Squared that has two NICs and uses the Intel Apollo Lake chipset. This was the documentation added

The standard raspberry-pi sized UP Board only has a single NIC and uses the Intel Cherry Trail chipset. A single network port is not advised by the pfSense community since you'd have to rely on vlan tagging on your shared trunk.

I have not tested pfSense directly on the UP Board for that reason. The reason I added Partial support in the Wiki pages for the Cherry Trail chipset was that I got FreeBSD 11 installed on it earlier, which is the base for pfSense 2.4. So I assumed it would boot with pfSense since all other freebsd+pfsense tests work out the same.

I'll try to find some time to validate it again later this week.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• hamador
    Hello,

Yes, I have UP Board but I have also a Ethernet port via USB (3.0). This is why I try to use pfsense.

Best regards,