Upboard^2 OS Support

cloudguy
cloudguy New Member Posts: 5
I ordered both an Upboard based on the Atom CPU and an Upboard^2 with 8G/64G MMC and Pentium N4200 CPU.

Disappointed with the UP^2 as nothing (Linux-wise) seems to install cleanly. I was hoping to run Proxmox (v5.0), however that just reboots after loading ramdisk. Tried CentOS 7.4, boots partway through and reboots as well, can't even read the point it gets to. Tried Fedora 26 and Ubuntu 17.04 with same level of success.

Any suggestions? Great specs, had high hopes, but looks like a dud. Strongly leaning toward returning...

I have better luck with the regular Upboard (Atom).. All of the above seems to install fine (except the Proxmox eMMC issue). Was really hoping for the UP^2 though...

Comments

• MICHAEL A POPE
    MICHAEL A POPE New Member Posts: 8
    I just brought an UP^2 and haven't started playing around with it yet, did you try the Ubilinux on the UP^2?
  • cloudguy
    Yes, last night. Same issue, reboots after loading ramdisk. I going to return it, surprised that only one is supported..
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Sounds to me like you have a faulty board. I have zero trouble running different OSes on mine.
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    WereCatf wrote:
    Sounds to me like you have a faulty board. I have zero trouble running different OSes on mine.

Same here. I have installed the following with zero effort:

* Ubuntu 16.04
    * Ubilinux
    * pfSense (FreeBSD 11 doesn't have Apollo Lake eMMC drivers, needed external SSD)

I'm going to be installing Debian and ArchLinux next and I don't predict any issues with them.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• cloudguy
    Hi.. Would really like to know HOW you did that.. (UEFI/BIOS settings?)

From my last post:
    - Got a brand new Up^2 (rules out hardware issue)
    - Upgraded BIOS to 2.1
    - Tried to install ubilinux 3.0/4.0, ubuntu 16.04.xx - latest, ubuntu 17.04 (same reboot issue)
    - Installed pfSense 2.4.0 without any issues. But I don't want to use BSD.
    - Downloading Fedora now.

Based on my experience, seems like a BIOS setting issue to be.

Very cool specs, but this is getting incredibly frustrating.. Any proven guides would be extremely helpful. I'll give it a week before I call it quits. Not worth the hassle for $500.
  • Kabuli Chana
    Kabuli Chana New Member Posts: 10
    Have installed
    * Ubilinux
    * Qubes (4.0 RC1) Fedora based OS, RC not ready for prime time, but ran fine
    * Arch Linux
    all after 2.1 BIOS update. All have been no issue, and nothing of note set in BIOS to make things work.

Current thought is to stick with Arch and setup VMs, whether XEN or KVM, to run whatever else as needed. Not sure what you are running into, as noted, I set nothing in BIOS to get things working.
  • WereCatf
    cloudguy, run memtest86 on it to see if the RAM is faulty.
  • cloudguy
    I'll run that and report back. But two boards? Any feedback from UP / Asus... Maybe there's a bad batch?
  • WereCatf
    Yeah, your situation sounds weird, but, as mentioned, I can run multiple different Linux-distros and Windows 10 just fine on my UP2. I even tested dual-boot with Linux on the eMMC and Windows on an external SATA-disk, and it all worked beautifully.

So, there are a couple of things that could be wrong: your boards could be faulty, your downloads could be faulty (bad download or a virus trying to infect them?), your installation-media could be faulty or the software you use to make the installation-media could produce corrupted results. There could be more, but those are what I can come up with off-the-top-of-my-hat.

If memtest86 doesn't produce an error, I suppose you should check MD5-sums on your downloads and perhaps try a different USB-stick. Also, if you're using Rufus to make the installation-media, don't forget to change partition-scheme to "MBR partition scheme for UEFI"
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    Just a small note about BIOS: I always reset the BIOS to factory defaults before installing an OS. Except for pfSense/FreeBSD - I go in and disable the eMMC stuff first so it will boot faster.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!