Seems to have an error while installing ubilinux

Options
Christopher
Christopher New Member Posts: 7
Here is a screenshot of the system when I booted it up. I have not updated the BIOS as I do not know how to do it. Can anyone guide me on how to install ubilinux? I followed the step that is provided here https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubilinux.

Thank you.

Comments

• Nicola Lunghi
    Nicola Lunghi Emutex Posts: 131 mod
    Options
    Dear cpcp07
    Please check that you can boot your pc with the same pendrive.
    If you cannot it means that the usb disk is corrupted. Please recreate the install

If you can boot your pc from the same pendrive then press F7 on start and see if you can select the USB disk in the menu.

If you're not already done so I suggest you to update to the latest BIOS (2.1) for UP Squared because it contain many fixes.

Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    Options
    It seems you have not created the ubilinux installer successfully.

What software are you using to create the USB installer? Are you using rufus from Windows?
    https://up-community.org/wiki/Ubilinux#Windows

Also in order to update the BIOS you should download the latest version for your UP Squared from here: https://up-community.org/downloads/download/29-uefi-bios/82-upa1am21

And then follow the upgrade procedure from here: https://up-community.org/wiki/Firmware#Upgrading_the_UEFI_BIOS
  • David Rolfe
    David Rolfe New Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi,

I would like to jump in on this one, if I may, as I have been going through the same process, but feel that the BIOS Upgrade Procedure in: up-community.org/wiki/Firmware#Upgrading_the_UEFI_BIOS could itself do with a bit of an update, as personally I found it all a bit confusing!

Firstly, it gives us a Warning that the contents only apply to pre-production versions of the BIOS, which is a stage I would have thought has been passed by now.

It then includes a screenshot, which implies that the USB drive is mapped to fs2, although I can see nothing there which would indicate to me that it was... or am I missing something somewhere?

Hopefully this section can be made a bit more understandable to those of us who are not so fully experienced in matters of this nature!

Thanks!
  • Christopher
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. I just upgraded the BIOS to the latest one. However, now my board seems cannot be off or cannot boot up (the blue light is on but there is nothing on the screen). I am not really sure whether the upgrade is completed or not. The screen output just blacked out by its own during the process even-though I was not disconnecting the board to power supply.

I tried to install ubilinux earlier but it gave me this message (screenshot). So I upgraded the BIOS.
  • Nicola Lunghi
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi all
    We just updated the Bios installation section in the wiki.

https://up-community.org/wiki/Bios_Update

Please let us know if you find any discrepancy.

Best Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • David Rolfe
    Options
    Hi Nicola,

Thank you for updating that section of the Wiki, which as I have already mentioned in a few other posts badly needed doing!

I note however that the file download for the UP Squared board has been updated today.

Has the file itself changed at all, as I installed it a couple of days ago, and wondered if I should now perform a further upgrade?

Thanks!
  • Christopher
    Options
    Right now, my system won't boot up (or there is no output on the screen). The blue light is turned on, but if I press the reset button, it won't turn off. I tried to hold the button but it just flashed off for less than one second.
  • Nicola Lunghi
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi Montala
    no its an error in the download plugin.
    If you have the 2.1 version you're fine

Best Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Nicola Lunghi
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi cpcp07
    can you describe better what operation have you done?
    have you successfully updated the bios or was the procedure interrupted?
    can you enter the bios menu (by pressing F7 on start)?

Also the picture that you uploaded is corrupted please send us a better screenshot of the error

Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Christopher
    Options
    I press f7 during the boot up for the first time. I inputted "fs1:", "ls", and "GO.nsh". It started to run a script. I left it there and didn't interrupt it at all. After I came back probably after 15 minutes, the screen is blacked out but the blue light is still turned on. I waited for a little while and decided to press the reset button on the hardware. Now, if I plug the board with the power supply, only the blue light is turned on but no output on the screen.
  • Christopher
    edited September 2017
    Options
    picture of error while installing ubilinux
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cpcp07 wrote:
    picture of error while installing ubilinux

I have been testing several operating systems, including several installs of Ubilinux.

I did see this type of behavior a few times. It turns out it was a bad flash of the USB stick. Reimaging the Ubilinux to the same USB stick worked fine a 2nd time.

The only operating system I know that verifies itself during installation with an md5 hash is Qubes OS. Everything else is a shot in the dark of rather you flashed the USB stick correctly, even if Etcher passed verification. I've had dozens of failed Windows installs because of USB boot sticks not flashed correctly.

Could you try to re-image your USB boot disk again and then try to install?

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• David Rolfe
    Options
    cpcp07 wrote:
    I press f7 during the boot up for the first time. I inputted "fs1:", "ls", and "GO.nsh". It started to run a script. I left it there and didn't interrupt it at all. After I came back probably after 15 minutes, the screen is blacked out but the blue light is still turned on. I waited for a little while and decided to press the reset button on the hardware. Now, if I plug the board with the power supply, only the blue light is turned on but no output on the screen.

Hi, I am not clear if your UP2 is "up and running" again now or not, but it looks to me as if you might have inadvertently interrupted the update procedure!

As WereCatf said to me in another thread "... after it has finished installing the BIOS just wait -- it looks as if the board has powered off, but it takes a couple minutes before it fires back up again. Don't pull the power-plug, don't reset the board and don't touch the power-button -- just wait"

I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I reckon it is a good idea to keep a close eye on things when doing anything like this, so that you will then have a better idea which stage it has reached, and what it is actually up to!

I trust that you have also managed to install ubilinux by now? If not there are far more knowledgeable folk than me on here, who I am sure will quickly be able to help you out.
  • Christopher
    Options
    Now my board can't even show an output. I am not really sure what should I do.
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Have you tried resetting BIOS-settings by removing the battery for a few moments? If you have and it doesn't help, then I don't know if there's anything left you can do.
  • Nicola Lunghi
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi Montala
    If you cannot enter in the bios settings nor EFI shell and the battery trick doesn't work I think that you have inadvertitely interrupted the bios update procedure.
    The only procedure at this point to recover it is to flash the bios with a spi eeprom programmer

See the procedure here
    https://up-community.org/wiki/BIOS_chip_flashing

Or you can contact aaeon for a replacement https://up-shop.org/contact-us

Regards
    Nicola Lunghi
  • WereCatf
    Options
    I think the wiki needs a small clarification for the BIOS-update procedure. You should mention that at least the UP2 does appear to shut down after it's done with the BIOS-update, but it's actually not finished yet; one should just wait patiently until the board boots back up by itself, which may take a minute or two.

I don't have the UP1, so I don't know if it does this, but the UP2 does and it's easy for a less-experienced person to think the board has shut down and it's okay to press reset or power.
  • David Rolfe
    Options
    Hi Montala
    If you cannot enter in the bios settings nor EFI shell and the battery trick doesn't work I think that you have inadvertitely interrupted the bios update procedure.
    The only procedure at this point to recover it is to flash the bios with a spi eeprom programmer

See the procedure here
    https://up-community.org/wiki/BIOS_chip_flashing

Regards
    Nicola Lunghi

Hi Nicola,

It is actually cp0707 who has the problem, and not me, (fortunately!) but on looking at the price of the spi eprom programmer mentioned in the wiki, and bearing in mind that it is not the sort of thing which many users will already own, would it not be cheaper for him to return the board for you to check it over and to reflash the BIOS for him?

Even with carriage charges I would have thought that was by far the cheapest option, after of course he has tried disconnecting the battery first, to see if that helps at all?
  • WereCatf
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Montala wrote:
    but on looking at the price of the spi eprom programmer mentioned in the wiki, and bearing in mind that it is not the sort of thing which many users will already own, would it not be cheaper for him to return the board for you to check it over and to reflash the BIOS for him?

One could just use a cheap CH341A-based device (e.g. eBay-link for 2.40€) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clips (e.g. eBay-link for 2.50€) -- you don't necessarily have to buy the expensive kit these guys are using here.

Though, if cp0707 knew how to use these he probably would've done it already, so I have to agree that just sending the board to Aaeon/Emutex to fix the BIOS would probably be the best option.
  • Nicola Lunghi
    Options
    Updated Instruction on the wiki.

Thank you
    Nicola Lunghi
  • Christopher
    Options
    Yes, I think it will be better to email them regarding this. Thank you everyone.