This is the area to clarify hardware specification if there's anything unclear from the datasheet. If the specification is software related, please ask in the related software section.

Question about speed?

Options
Brian Beuken
Brian Beuken New Member Posts: 35
In all the promo material and docs, the Up2 is rated at up to 2.4-2.5Ghz depending on CPU

When I booted my Celeron dual up to the bios, it gave me a clock speed of 1. something... and no way to increase it?

Can you please tell me what the actual clock speed is, and what can be done to increase it to the stated 2.4Ghz

Comments

• WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Options
    The advertized 2+GHz is for the turbo-clock. What you are seeing is the base-clock. Turbo is a temporary boost to speed under heavy load, it's not something the SoC is meant to be running at all times. All this is to say, no, you can't be running it at 2.4GHz at all times and yes, it is working as intended.
  • Brian Beuken
    Options
    Thanks WereCatf
    I guessed as much, I just wanted it confirmed, I kinda wish they wouldn't do that it gives a totally false impression of speed. Its perfectly fine at its base speed, and indeed the heat it outputs you certainly don't want it turbo'ing itself to an early grave, but its kinda misleading.
  • WereCatf
    WereCatf New Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Aye, I don't disagree with you. It's just typical marketing, it's hard to even be mad at them about it when literally everyone else does the exact same thing -- in today's modern world, one just has to learn a bit of media-criticism and research a little, like e.g. I looked the SoC up in Intel's database before pulling trigger.

I just wish the whole world would stop with the lies, omissions and misleading others, so there wasn't always such a need to pay close attention to everything.
  • Brian Beuken
    Options
    It does however do the boost at the right times so I'm willing to let it go, this time :D Almost every SBC I've bought has similar misleading claims,stating maximum speeds, throughput and added value, without actually pointing out that in everyday general use none of it is directly available.

So far I'm quite pleased with my Up2 it'll take a bit more work, as usual i'm hating on Linux it its guess the password rituals, but I'm overall pretty impressed with the board.