UP Board won't start...

http://up-shop.org/home/76-up-2gb-16gb-pack-plus.html

bought that kit, won't start!

the board posts, i see the post screen, then within 2 or 3 seconds the screen goes blank, within another second the blue light goes out

what's the deal? have a win10 usb plugged in...

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin
    can you press F7 on BIOS post screen and check if the system detects your USB stick?
  • Andrew
    Andrew New Member Posts: 4
    i tried 2x USB keyboard and neither would do anything when tapping F7... i unplugged the USB stick and gave it a try and did see the boot menu pop up with a single item for CMOS setup... but before i could hit enter it just shut down like it has been...
  • Andrew
    edited July 2017
    ok this is strange... i noticed the fan isn't spinning up, and just figured there was a temp sensor that would turn it on when it gets hot enough, but found a thread stating the fan is just on when powered on and off when off...

so i opened up the case and unplugged the CPU fan, now it seems to be running.... i have win10 install going now....

going to do some more testing when it's done
  • Andrew
    well, it's as i suspected, looked up the board details and it appears i had the CPU fan plugged into the power switch header.... the resistance across the fan was likely looking from the boards perspective that i had a power button pressed down :(

it appears i was a little hasty putting it together.... but i cannot for the life of me see any other fan header to plug this thing in at... been looking at the board layout document, only mention of a FAN i see is in one of the headers, like i'd need a breakout cable or something to plug this cpu fan in..

where am i supposed to plug this thing in?
  • rogertsai(AAEON)
    rogertsai(AAEON) New Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    you should connect to CN34, please see below CN34 pin define for your reference from UP user manual
    please note that this does not apply to general fan connector (2pin or 3pin type connector)
  • eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    edited September 2017
    roger1tsai wrote:
    you should connect to CN34, please see below CN34 pin define for your reference from UP user manual
    please note that this does not apply to general fan connector (2pin or 3pin type connector)

This lead me down the correct road. But note, the "Active Cooler" is not a PWM fan - which the red outlined circle denotes we might want to use. Instead, it's a simple 5V fan.

Looking at the pinout, pins 11 and 12 at 5V.

I can confirm that pins 11 and 12 is what we should be using.

The connector that comes with the Active Cooler slides right onto pins 11 and 12 as well. It's nice to know there is PWM support as well for any tricky setups.

Perhaps in the future, the UP team will include a tiny piece of paper with the Active Cooler denoting where to connect it because it uses the exact same connector that fits only 1 spot on the board - and we shouldn't be using that spot!

Thanks!

DO NOT use this connector shown below! Besides, the cable does NOT reach without taking it out and across the heatsink which should have been the first hint that this is NOT the connector we should be using below.

DO use this connector below! The fan's connector just fits, tightly, over pins 11 and 12.

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!

• eduncan911
    eduncan911 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 157 admin
    (A little) more details about this connector is here, along with all other pinouts for the board: https://up-community.org/downloads/send/22-documentation/18-up-cht01-a10_rev_a10_connectors-description

Eric Duncan - UP Evangelist - My thoughts are of my own free will

Answered? Please remember to mark the posted answered to highlight it for future visitors!