Android Carputer (Raspberry Pi doesn't seem to be the best choice)

Rameshsalvi
Rameshsalvi New Member Posts: 12

Hey everybody,

I figured this might be the best place to ask: I am planning on building a Carputer using a single board computer and I want to use Andoid, because I like using Google Maps, Waze and so on.

So what hardware would you recommend?

Those are the main things I want my carputer to be able to do:

FM / DAB radio (DVB-T / FM USB dongle)

MP3 from USB / harddrive

Navigation (Google Maps)

OBD2 (Torque APP)

program GPIO (control MOSEFs and such)

Of course I want to hook it up to a touch screen which would be placed on the dash board.

First I thought the Raspberry Pi would be the best choice, but it doesn't run Android natively and it just seems like the there is much better hardware out there for about the same price.

I would appreciate any helping suggestion.

Comments

• DCleri
    DCleri Administrator, AAEON Posts: 1,213 admin

If you are not constrained about the size, the UP Squared supports Android 7.1: https://downloads.up-community.org/download/android-7-1-image-for-up-squared/

• Rameshsalvi
    Rameshsalvi New Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2018

@Rameshsalvi said:
    Hey everybody,

I figured this might be the best place to ask: I am planning on building a Carputer using a single board computer and I want to use Andoid, because I like using Google Maps, Waze and so on.

So what hardware would you recommend?

Those are the main things I want my carputer to be able to do:

FM / DAB radio (DVB-T / FM USB dongle)

MP3 from USB / harddrive

Navigation (Google Maps)

OBD2 (Torque APP)

program GPIO (control MOSEFs and such)

Of course I want to hook it up to a touch screen which would be placed on the dash board.

First I thought the Raspberry Pi would be the best choice, but it doesn't run Android natively and it just seems like the there is much better hardware out there for about the same price.

I would appreciate any helping suggestion.

Thank you